Research Manager - Good Business Lab
- Some post-secondary education
To apply: please submit your CV and cover letter in English
Good Business Lab (www.goodbusinesslab.org) is an independent, non-profit labor innovation lab that uses rigorous research methods to design, develop, and test scalable, market-ready interventions capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses.
The founders of the lab are Ach Adhvaryu - Associate Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy at the University of Michigan (www.achadhvaryu.com), Anant Ahuja -head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd., and Anant Nyshadham - Assistant Professor of Economics at the University of Michigan
We have been incubated at Shahi Exports, India's biggest apparel export house, where we have conducted several studies in their sixty plus factories in the past six years and have now expanded our work to the United States and Latin America, having an office in Medellín, Colombia. Some of our other partners include the Harvard Business School (Jorge Tamayo, PI), University of Pennsylvania, the United Nations Development Program, International Labor Organization, Arcos Dorados, Grupo Éxito and Toyota.
GBL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.We offer traditional workplace benefits as stated by the Colombian labor law such as insurance and travel allowance. We also offer several other non-monetary workplace benefits like flexible work hours, and the ability to work remotely. We are a young and growing start-up making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.
Going forward, projects include looking at the effect of managerial training on firm productivity in the quick service restaurant industry, the effect of marketplace and pricing structures on consumers’ benefits and choice to use online versus in person shopping in the food retail industry, as well as the impact of new product introduction on production dynamics in the automotive industry.
To ensure the smooth implementation of all projects, we are looking for a Research Manager, details of which are given below.
Please note that the applicants are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English.
Location: Medellín, Colombia
Length of Commitment: at least one year
Remuneration: 4,500,000 – 5,000,000 Colombian Peso per month
Start Date: ASAP (applications being accepted on a rolling basis)
Who are you?
Ideally you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics/statistics required; Masters preferred.
- Knowledge of Stata (or any other statistical tool) required.
- Ability to work in a team, manage multiple projects on the ground and be self-motivated.
- Ability to converse fluently and write in Spanish and English.
- Background in Randomized Controlled Trials strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research (supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation, financial reporting, and data management)
- Strong quantitative, analytical and financial management skills required
What will you do?
Research Managers at GBL work closely with academic researchers, the research implementation team, data manager and other staff to help implement various projects. They typically manage up to 2-3 projects and mentor 2-3 Research Associates.
Primary Responsibilities (60-70% time):
- Mentor Research Associates and other staff
- Set priorities for projects in consultation with researchers
- Maintain clear communication between researchers and GBL staff and clarify expectations
- Anticipate challenges to research projects and work with researchers to address them
- Identify and mitigate risks to research projects
- Ensure that the project has sufficient material and human resources
- Ensure that projects follow GBL standards and protocols in consultation with Data and Field teams
- Ensure alignment between research team and implementation partners
- Assist with the responsibilities of Research Associates (for example data cleaning, survey planning, surveyor hiring) as required
Other Responsibilities (30-40%):
- Assist with screening and hiring Research Associates
- Prepare report for funding agencies
- Lead training session of Research Associates and other staff
- Help improve the procedures, policies, and culture of GBL
- Oversee administrative needs of the Medellín office
- Represent GBL at meetings with external stakeholders (by delivering presentations, for example)
- Contribute to GBL’s communications (blogs and articles) as requested
- Ensure compliance with Institutional Review Boards
What will be your benefits?
- No fixed number of leaves.
- Autonomy and flexible working culture (work from home, flexible hours, and occasional remote work.)
- Personal development: we support the development of our team through mentorship and regular access to external training programs.
What should you be comfortable with?
- A dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Working in a team with shared responsibilities.
- Independently coordinating with coworkers to accomplish goals.
- Being resourceful in new environments and scenarios.
- Problem-solve in high-pressure environments.