Research Manager, India Based (Rolling) - Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Who should apply for rolling positions: We are always looking for great candidates and understand that some of the fixed start dates in our positions may not work for you! Please check out the positions with specific start dates on our website. But if none of those start dates work for you, we strongly encourage you to apply for the positions we are hiring for on a rolling basis. For rolling positions, the start date is flexible. If you are looking to apply at a future date, we strongly encourage you to apply for it now and indicate your preferred start date in the application form. Candidates who will be completing their master’s degree in 2023 and are available to join in summer or later in the year can also apply.
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics India Centre is based at, and accountable to, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) Society, with strategic oversight from Krea University. Inclusion Economics India Centre collaborates with the Inclusion Economics at Yale University team to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
- Inclusive Opportunity - We study how policies can promote inclusion, and strive to practice this value by creating opportunities for individuals from all walks of life. We collaborate with, and seek to learn from, each other.
- Rigour - We take a rigorous approach to research and the entire research environment – from asking initial questions, to engaging with the right policy counterparts to create impact, to communicating final results
- Curiosity - We approach problems with open-minded curiosity and consider a wide range of approaches – which we then pursue with discipline and rigour. We innovate, drawing upon other fields and developing new approaches beyond traditional economic tools.
- Integrity - We respect each other and those we work with, uphold ethical standards, are honest, admit our mistakes, and are committed to constant improvement.
- Challenge Accepted Paradigms - Bold research and policy engagement allow us to speak to the challenges of supporting the world's poor and vulnerable. We are willing to look through new lenses to rethink the status quo.
We are hiring Research Managers to support a portfolio of several field-based research projects on gender, governance, and environment in Bihar, Delhi, and Chhattisgarh. The position will allow the candidate an opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience on projects at the forefront of economic research and public policy. The Research Manager will manage at least one randomized control trial involving top academics from internationally acclaimed universities. The Research Manager will be responsible for supervising a research team, budgeting and financial management, procurement and other operational tasks, reporting, and contracts/grants management, as well as contributing to research design and implementation of the assigned project/portfolio. This position requires a self-starting candidate with proven management experience and familiarity with applied economics research who can work with multiple stakeholders, to deliver on the project objectives. They should be willing to work in a dynamic organisational environment and bring high levels of integrity and commitment to the work we do. The candidate should be able to effectively navigate India's institutional landscape and appropriately represent Inclusion Economics India to outside stakeholders.
The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from top universities across the world, Inclusion Economics India Centre to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Mentor, manage and oversee staff on the projects. Recruit and onboard staff, as determined by project requirements and funds. Contribute to the growth/feedback process of direct reportees and be their first point of contact when guidance is required
- Support the implementation of research projects, including overseeing day-to-day field-based activities by supervising a team of Research Associates and other operations staff, in collaboration with relevant policy partners and India and Yale-based teams
- Supervise a field-based team to manage project activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, and survey testing. Monitor field-based data collection to ensure the highest data quality standards are upheld. Some of these activities require frequent travel to our field offices in various states in India
- Manage all assigned administrative requirements of the projects, including financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Work closely with research staff and lead investigators to ensure project budgets accurately reflect program design, and budgets are updated and executed appropriately. Integrity and efficiency in all financial matters is very important
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of financial reports and projections, and sub-grantee/contract reports and deliverables in the portfolio to keep projects running smoothly
- Coordinate with other project staff and Research Managers to contribute to organisational initiatives as and when called upon
- Manage relationships with funding organizations and partner institutions; work with partner institutions to coordinate project administration and logistics
- Contribute to Inclusion Economics India's overall management and strategic vision by identifying additional sources of funding and potential partner organizations for the expansion of our research portfolio
- Contribute to grant applications as needed
- Flexibility in working hours to accommodate coordination across teams in multiple time zones and to implement research activities.
- Other tasks, as required
- Master’s degree in relevant field such as economics or public policy/administration. Significant coursework in economics is highly preferred
- 3 to 5 years of management experience in international development or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven analytical skills and knowledge of common statistics software packages (e.g. STATA, R)
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to visit research project sites as necessary
- Working knowledge of Hindi
- Experience with research grants management, budgeting, and project management
- Solid understanding of research project design and processes, experience with RCT’s
- Experience with Python (pandas + scrapy), Git, database management
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Manager, Rolling Position in India”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.