Research Manager (India) - Precision Development
PxD is looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing, flexible and non-hierarchical team as Research Manager (India). The successful candidate will support PxD’s rapidly expanding coffee project in South India, and will work in collaboration with state governments, private/social enterprises and researchers.
This position may have opportunities to travel.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Supervise from start to finish the implementation of research projects in collaboration with PxD-affiliated researchers and partners, including research design, data collection and management, and analysis.
- Develop and manage projects’ work plans, stakeholder communications and implementation monitoring systems.
- Work closely with PxD researchers and our partner organizations to identify, develop, and launch new research projects, including by conducting needs assessments, executing scoping activities and contributing to grant proposals.
- Directly supervise and mentor project staff (Research Associates, Project Associates, Field Staff, Interns) and provide guidance on technical activities, e.g. power calculations and quantitative analysis.
- Manage partner relations and work with external stakeholders for implementation of research field operations.
- Guide and support program teams to translate evidence and research findings into service improvements and to establish robust M&E protocols and contribute to building of an institutional knowledge base on evidence.
- Keep track of project budgets and the financial health of individual projects and collaborate with the finance team to provide inputs for accurate budgeting, and cash flow calculations.
- Contribute to internal and external communications to disseminate research findings including briefs, blogs, reports, and presentations.
- Contribute to PxD institutional knowledge management and internal learning efforts.
- Stay abreast of the latest research related to mobile phone-based agricultural extension and other relevant topics and current landscape of other organizations and companies operating in the mobile phone-based agricultural advisory space.
- Contribute to general management tasks important for the organization’s functioning and success – including but not limited to budgeting, hiring, and strategic planning.
We need someone who has the following skills:
Strong writing and oral communication skills in English, with attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills; strong technical skills including an understanding of randomized evaluations and behavioral economics; excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively; Self-starter, ability to handle multiple projects/tasks and meet deadlines.
The successful candidate must have a strong interest in and commitment to PxD's mission to leverage technology to improve the lives of the poor at scale, and a willingness to travel to project sites in India.
Qualification and experience in the following domains would also be useful:
- Experience in a multi-faceted role dealing with multiple projects and stakeholders; managerial experience preferred.
- Technical understanding of economics and randomized evaluations.
- Advanced proficiency with quantitative data analysis and statistical software, such as Stata or R.
- Experience with fieldwork and/or primary data collection
- Adept at consuming large amounts of academic literature as well as other technical information, synthesizing key findings, and applying takeaways to program and research design.
PxD is a rapidly scaling global non-profit that harnesses the power of technology, data science and behavioral economics to provide targeted information to farmers in low- and middle-income countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomized controlled trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and to demonstrate our value to funders and partners. There are few programmes in international development that are as demonstrably cost effective as ours. We currently work in ten countries in Africa, Asia and South America, and are expanding as more governments and organizations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to empower people across the developing world. PxD’s activities in India are implemented in partnership with Behaviour Change Advisory Services
How to Apply
To apply, please visit the PxD website and use the online application form to submit a CV, cover letter, and brief responses to the screening questions. The job position may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the application deadline of July 7, 2022, 5pm IST.
PxD is committed to building an inclusive and diverse organization. We don’t make decisions based on gender, gender identity, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation or any other personal characteristics that are unrelated to the role. We understand that everyone has different lifestyles and we accommodate flexible working to make sure you are as productive and happy as you can be. We will use any personal data you provide for recruitment purposes only.