Research Manager, Peru - IPA
The Research Manager will manage a portfolio of three to five research projects, each of which is staffed with a team of 1 to 3 regular staff. These projects may include research studies in social protection, education, crime, financial inclusion, consumer protection among others. Project will be both in Peru and in other countries in the region such as Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay, Central America, among others. The Research Manager will be based in Lima, but will do occasional trips to projects sites to support Research Associates and Research Coordinator. As part of their supervisory role, the Research Manager will work closely with the various country office teams and the Global Research & Data Support to ensure that effective support is given to projects and that projects are aligned with IPA Peru and global practices. The Research Manager is also expected to work closely with Principal Investigators, to ensure that projects are implemented well and engage implementing partners such as the Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Population, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Development and Social Protection among others. In addition, the Research Manager will participate in IPA Peru Senior Management discussions and contribute to the development of new projects, policy outreach, and capacity building. This position will be based in Lima, Peru.
- Ensure project adherence to general research design, sample selection, data management and general research protocols, and overall project management timelines;
- Directly supervise project research staff, and help with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities;
- Keep the Country Director/Deputy Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principal Investigators;
- Lead training on data management and general project management for new/incoming project research staff;
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings;
- Work with field office staff to ensure sound human resource and operational management of projects;
- Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems;
- Attend regular meetings with local government officials and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities;
- Work with CD, DCD and PIs on research design and writing of grant proposals, and support overall Project Development efforts.
- Masters in development economics, or a field related to international economic development or education;
- At least three years of project management experience;
- Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research;
- experience in conducting field research in developing countries required. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred;
- Extensive experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing surveys and implementing programs;
- Experience with data management and econometrics. Advanced knowledge of Stata or any statistical package is preferred;
- Experience in/knowledge of the livelihood sector is a plus cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required;
- Strong quantitative, budgeting and financial management skills required;
- Experience with presenting research findings at public forums, including to non-research focused audiences. Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English and Spanish is required.