Senior Advisor, Right-Fit Evidence, Bangladesh - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit is seeking a Senior Advisor to join our growing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) advisory practice. The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.The Senior M&E Associate will work on multiple MEL advisory engagements, under the oversight of a Senior Manager in the Right-Fit Evidence Unit. The main projects that we expect the position to focus in the first year will be:
- An engagement where IPA will be the learning and evaluation partner for a multi-partner initiative aimed at developing and embedding whole child development practices for children in adversity into government systems in Bangladesh
- An engagement through which IPA will be working on strengthening the MEL capacity of various government ministries as well as the broader MEL community in Bangladesh
The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and will likely require between 10 and 15% travel (once the COVID-19 pandemic eases). The position is expected to report to a Senior Manager from the RFE team.
We encourage those with the following profiles to apply as these skills and interests are a particularly strong fit:
- Management consultants with some international development experience who would be excited by a career shift to an entrepreneurial and impact-focused environment leveraging their skillsetM&E practitioners who are interested in broadening their scope and impact on the field by advising multiple organizations on state-of-the-art M&E practices
- Research professionals in international development who enjoy working closely with practitioners and are interested in broadening their scope to all the types of data and evidence that can inform decisions
Irrespective of your background, RFE positions tend to be great fits for anyone with a growth-oriented mindset.
Under the guidance of a Manager specific to each project, and in partnership with IPA’s Bangladesh team and sometimes other global teams, you will work on various RFE advisory engagements for clients working to improve international development outcomes (NGOs, governments, social businesses, funders, etc.), working closely with them to develop tailor-made solutions for their MEL needs, and support their implementation. This includes the following responsibilities:
- Strategic and technical contribution: provision of advice and tools to advance partners’ learning goals in their programs, such as: Assisting clients to identify M&E questions to test the assumptions in their theory of change, and to design cost-effective approaches to rigorously test these assumptions
- Providing technical advice, to partners on the development and implementation of M&E plans, the design of indicators, data collection methods, and data management.
- Co-creating prototyping and iterative learning plans to improve early-stage program activities Designing learning-oriented process evaluations
- Project management: lead work planning and project management to ensure effective and timely implementation of our work
- Stakeholder communication: Maintain strong communication and partnership with key stakeholders, including direct stakeholder management with leadership staff from partner organizations
- Workshop design and implementation: Design and facilitate various kinds of external MEL-related workshops
- Research design and analysis: Take part in the design, implementation and analysis of data collection and other evaluative work (which RFE does sometimes in complement to partners’ own MEL, including on this project)Professional deliverables: Own the preparation and presentation of various types of advisory and analytical deliverables, maintaining the highest standards of communication efficiency
- Support on the development of new RFE engagements, including taking part in scoping meetings, contributing to the design of methodologies, and writing concept notes or proposals
- While working on these engagements, you will also bring your own contributions to the ongoing improvement of RFE’s advisory service offerings
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector), organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector), or experience in management consulting/other professional services
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Experience with qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Familiarity with statistics and data analysis (including Excel)
- Strong client-facing and presentation skills. Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility, and ability to learn at a fast pace.
- Passion for making data-driven decisions a reality in the international development sector.
- Preferred additional qualifications
- Language: Bangla fluency strongly preferred.Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience living and working in developing countries, particularly South Asia
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of M&E (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software