Senior M&E Associate, Uganda - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence Unit is seeking a Senior Associate to help advise our partners in Uganda on how to develop and implement adaptive Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems. The Senior Associate will initially work on a project in the Early Childhood Development (ECD) sector, as part of a $100m project led by the International Rescue Committee, aiming to bring Learning through Play to nearly one million pre-primary and primary school aged children impacted by humanitarian crises in Ethiopia and Uganda.
The position is based in Kampala and will report to the M&E Engagement Manager in New York, with additional oversight from the Uganda Country Director. The successful candidate will join the growing Right-Fit Evidence unit in Kampala, which currently includes a Coordinator and Junior Associate, and is part of the larger, well-established IPA Kampala office.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit provides consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost- effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
The Senior M&E Associate will be the primary on-the-ground staff member delivering M&E technical support to enable data-driven design and iterative adaptation during the first two years of the program. The Senior Associate will work closely with around five ECD implementers that are part of the program, in order to build their capacity in using adaptive M&E. With oversight from the M&E Engagement Manager, the Senior Associate will:
- Carry out a facilitated needs assessment to formulate and test hypotheses about the gaps and needs in current ECD in targeted humanitarian contexts
- Support clients to draft theories of change (ToCs) for project activities, by reviewing program documents and relevant literature
- Assist clients to identify M&E questions to test the assumptions in their ToCs, and provide advice on the strength of key assumptions.
- Assist clients to prepare materials, organize logistics and document outcomes for MEL workshops and meetings.
- Provide technical advice on the design of data collection methods, survey instruments and data management.
- Train client team members in how to analyse and summarize M&E data.
- Provide guidance to clients’ ongoing project monitoring, including by recommending implementation quality indicators and data sources.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience, including experience in MEL (public sector) or organizational performance (private sector)
- Superior analytical, quantitative and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong client facing and presentation skills, and ability to build relationships of trust with stakeholders at various levels.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.
- Experience working in developing countries
- Strong proficiency in Excel for data management and analysis
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in statistics, data analysis or MEL methodologies
- Background in development programs relating to Early Childhood Development
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software, SMS or Interactive Voice
- Response (IVR) technology
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software