(Senior) Policy & Communications Associate - IPA
- United States of America
The (Senior) Policy & Communications Associate (position level dependent on selected candidate's years of experience) will play a key role in helping to translate IPA’s research into action and to push forward strategic communications projects that support of IPA’s mission. S/he will create engaging and accessible content aimed at policymakers, practitioners, and other key audiences. This versatile individual must not only possess exceptional skills in writing, editing, and project management, but also have a strong grasp of a range of international development topics, as well as RCTs. Specific sector knowledge is a plus.As a member of IPA's Communications Team, s/he will work closely with IPA’s Research & Policy team, our implementing partners, some of the world’s top academics, and research staff in Africa, Asia, and Latin America to create and coordinate production of accurate and highly readable content, including policy summaries and briefs, presentations, blog posts, website updates, and social media posts. Success in this role will require a high level of flexibility, ability to execute, and responsiveness, as well as the ability to manage ongoing in-coming requests and to work collaboratively within and across teams.
The (Senior) Policy & Communications Associate with join a group of passionate, analytical, and collaborative team members who are committed to using evidence to solve pressing problems and improve lives.
- Execute the writing and facilitate the review process for external-facing publications and online resources that “translate” academic research into easy-to-understand language for a policy and practitioner audience
- Provide strategic communications and branding support, including cultivating IPA’s voice through our blog, social media platforms, and other communications avenues
- Support fundraising communications with story-telling, talking points, presentations, and other materials
- Coordinate the production of evaluation summaries for IPA’s website
- Support virtual and/or in-person events with coordination, planning, and presentation drafting and support
- Support dissemination of major studies over social media and through media outreach workInvestigate the use of evidence from IPA’s work and draft impact case studies that illustrate how evidence is being used to inform programs and policies
- Update project information in knowledge management system
- Analyze evidence and craft policy lessons in consultation with relevant researchers and editorial leadershipPropose and execute updates to IPA’s website to ensure content is fresh, timely, and relevant
- Support policy team with policy proposal writing to raise funds for strategic policy work
- Support senior leadership with talking points and other materials for high-level meetings with policymakers, partners, and funders
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s, advanced degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in economics, international development, journalism, political science, public policy, or other relevant field
- At least two years of relevant work experience required for Associate level; at least 4 for Sr. Associate.
- Existing professional writing experience and/or experience with international development and RCTs strongly preferred
- Exceptional and efficient writing and copy-editing skills
- Excellent desktop publishing skills and an eye for good design and presentationExperience living and/or working in at least one country where IPA works preferred.
- Experience with basic HTML, Drupal, and/or Salesforce a plus
- Design skills, particularly knowledge of Adobe In Design, Photoshop, and/or Illustrator, a plus