Senior Project Assistant
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a network of 180 affiliated professors from leading universities around the world who conduct randomized evaluations (REs). Its mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence.
J-PAL's headquarters is a center within MIT’s Economics Department in Cambridge, USA, with six independent regional offices in Africa, Europe, Latin America, North America, South Asia, and Southeast Asia that are hosted by a prominent local university. J-PAL’s Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) regional office is hosted at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile in Santiago.
From its launch in 2009, LAC has supported many research projects using field REs, organized numerous capacity building courses, and built many high-level relationships with key policymakers both within Chile and across the continent.
The Finance and Administration Senior Associate will administer and manage the finances of J- PAL LAC projects and will provide timely and quality budget and spending information to the different areas/projects that make up the organization .
The position is one of the main points of contact for financial, legal and administrative matters between J-PAL LAC and the departments of the host university. It is supported by the Executive Director and J-PAL’s Global office in Cambridge, MA USA.
Grants Management (60% time)
• Prepare project budgets and budget notes, working with the research/policy team.
• Run monthly reports on spending against budget from SAP and provide reports to project managers.
• With PUC procurement, establish contracts with service providers as needed.
• Prepare and manage contracts and agreements related to projects with legal unit in PUC.
• Prepare donor financial reports as needed.
General Finance and Operations (40% time)
• Using SAP reports from PUC, track overall spending compared to budget monthly and report quarterly for senior staff review.
• Allocate expenses to appropriate projects.
• Control and monitor all accounting and management accounts of the organization, with regular reporting, management of documents including archiving, and overall organization of the finance function.
• Ensure compliance with J-PAL LAC contracts and agreements related to projects and the organization.
• Work with senior staff to improve procedures for the proper financial, accounting and legal functioning of the organization.
• . Work with senior staff to prepare the annual budget in October each year.
Financial Management: Experience preparing budgets and spending reports and working with procurement systems to make purchases and enter into contracts; experience with accounting systems required, experience with SAP preferred; strong organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple projects; experience communicating with senior management on financial trends and results.
At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a closely related field.
At least 3years of relevant work experience in finance and operations; experience in a university or school setting a plus. The candidate must be able of communicate financial information clearly and advise senior staff on spending trends and financial concerns; knowledge of local accounting and financial laws is a must.
note: Work permission (to work in Chile) is a must.
How to Apply
Send CV (max. 2 pages) and motivation letter (max. 1 page) in Spanish to [email protected], with the subject line "Senior Project Assistant".
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.