Senior Research Assistant/Research Associate - Economics of Domestic Violence - Brac University, Bangladesh
Job Position: Research Assistant/Senior Research Assistant (Based on experience)
Project Location(s): James P. Grant School of Public Health (BRAC University), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) is often used by men as a bargaining tool to gain or maintain control over women’s behavior and household resources. The problem is pervasive in developing countries; and yet, theory and evidence on how to reduce victimization rates remain limited.
This project aims to address this knowledge gap by
- designing a baseline survey to assess the relative importance of different motives / triggers for violence, and
- evaluating the impact on victimization rates of a media campaign designed to challenge social norms that perpetuate the acceptability of IPV.
Goals of the Study and the Position:
This study is led by a team of researchers from Stanford University, Yale University, and the James P. Grant School of Public Health (BRAC University). Its purpose is twofold: (i) to investigate the root causes of IPV in Bangladesh, and (ii) to evaluate and compare the effectiveness of different preventive programs.
The research team is looking to hire a senior research assistant to support them with the following:
1. Designing the data collection and management protocols and planning the data collection: The senior research assistant will design the data collection protocol across the selected sample regions for surveying to make sure that the desired sample size will be reached in a timely and effective manner.
2. Oversee all field operations and manage the enumerators: The senior research assistant will mediate between the field research coordinator (RC) and the enumerators and ensure that surveying is conducted professionally and effectively. Tasks include training enumerators, developing data quality control protocols, field management during all pretests, pilots and main data collection and supporting the RC in effective data management.
3. Assist the team with designing and testing the questionnaires and experiments in Bangla. The team is currently testing the baseline questionnaires as well as a lab-in-the-field experiment in the field. The questionnaires and experiment protocol are constantly changing, and it will be the senior research assistant’s responsibility to ensure that the language is clear and easy to understand in Bangla.
The senior research assistant will:
- Implement all design and questionnaire changes in Bangla
- Develop field work schedules in consultation with the research team
- Supervise the data collection process and manage the enumerators
- Develop quality control protocols with support from the research team
- Report to the PIs and RC about the data collection progress
- Provide advice to the PIs and RC on how to resolve challenges in the field
Compensation: Minimum 35,000 BDT per month (based on experience) + per diem during field visits.
Timeline: The position is available immediately and up to 12 months based on performance.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, business or other quantitative social science disciplines.
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is required. Experience managing surveys and field staff in Bangladesh strongly preferred.
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines required.
- Communication Skills: attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Bangla required.
How to Apply
Individuals interested in applying for this consultancy must submit their CV to Shakil Ayan ([email protected]) as soon as possible. Candidates should include the subject line: "Application for Senior Research Assistant/Research Associate position - IPV Project"