Senior Research Associate, Avanti-Sankalp Project - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) is pleased to announce a Senior Research Associate position for the Avanti-Sankalp project, an evaluation of an ICT-based Mathematics and Science program implemented by Avanti Fellows in government schools in Haryana.
The selected candidate will be based in New Delhi, India and work with Mr. Andreas de Barros (Doctoral candidate, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Harvard University) to design, implement, and analyze a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate the program. The Research Associate will work closely with Avanti Fellows to coordinate the implementation of the randomized evaluation to be conducted in the state of Haryana. The position is designed to help the selected candidate prepare for graduate-level studies in quantitative research and/or further professional opportunities in impact evaluation.
The Senior Research Associate will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Principal Investigators in developing instruments for each round of data collection;
- Collaborating with J-PAL South Asia’s data team and Avanti Fellows to digitize all data collection instruments;
- Training enumerators on data collection instruments;
- Overseeing all rounds of data collection for the randomized evaluation, and ensure that it complies with standards for data quality;
- Monitoring the quality of the implementation of interventions;
- Assisting with applications to local and international institutional review boards;
- Writing high-quality documents for the evaluation, including training manuals, process reports and reports of results from the different rounds of data collection;
- Working in close collaboration with the research team and the partner organisation, to track overall progress on the project and ensure adherence to timelines and project-plan;
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, education, or a related field;
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Familiarity with randomized evaluations;
- Flexibility, motivation, and ability to work independently and with others;
- Experience cleaning and managing data and performing basic analysis in Stata;
- Experience working in the education sector, preferably field experience - either directly working in schools or implementing education programs in India;
- A Master’s degree in economics, statistics, education, or a related field;
- Experience digitizing survey instruments on Survey CTO;
- Proficiency in Hindi;
- Experience overseeing large-scale projects;
- Experience liaising with an external partner organization;
Note on work authorizations
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI). In case a candidate is eligible for an OCI status but does not already have the card, J-PAL South Asia will sponsor the card.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Senior Research Associate, Avanti-Sankalp Project - J-PAL South Asia” and include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.