(Senior) Research Associate, Educate! + Seed - IPA
This study is two distinct evaluations of the long-term impacts of two innovative youth skill development and entrepreneurship interventions (Educate! & SEED) in Uganda, both implemented at-scale as randomized controlled trials (RCT) during the last year of high-school or just after high-school completion. In particular, the project aims to follow up on students, who received either Educate! or SEED entrepreneurial training programs, after 8 years since the students’ graduation from high-school to measure impacts on economic and gender-related outcomes that shape women’s well-being and access to and control over resources. The two studies aim to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms through which the two interventions operate and yield lasting impacts, while also informing the debate on the optimal combination of soft and hard skills in skill development programs and curriculum design.
In the medium term the researchers found very interesting results related to participants family planning choices. The 8 year follow up is inspired by these positive findings and is a unique opportunity to investigate actual long-term impacts of entrepreneurial and soft skill training to labor market outcomes. The study plans to incorporate both quantitative, qualitative data collection tools as well as measures from behavioral games and, potentially, biomarkers.
In the context of our 8-year follow-ups of the two RCTs, we will build a large nationally representative panel, involving multiple data collections over the next 18 months, of over 6,000 Ugandan youth. These data will shed light on the impacts of Covid19 on youths’ resilience and their coping strategies.IPA Uganda is looking for a Senior Research Associate to work closely with the PIs (Paul Gertler and Laura Chioda) and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running extensive piloting exercises, refining surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data.
This is a unique opportunity to gain in-depth research experience in a large scale, long-term study with visible outcomes that have an actual policy impact in near future. This role is perfect for candidates who are considering pursuing a PhD in the near future or to seek a career in public policy.
- Implement Computer Assisted Interviewing (CAI) for surveys using SurveyCTO and STATA;
- Develop and pilot survey instruments; manage translation into local languages;
- Lead field team training and prepare high quality training materials;Manage data entry and assure smoothness of daily data quality checks;
- Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits;
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor; andMaintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- At least 2-3 years of fieldwork management experience. This includes training and managing large teams in the context of large data collections.A bachelor's degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields (candidates with a Master’s degree strongly preferred);
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills;Knowledge on biomarkers is a plus;
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus;Fluency in English with strong communication skills;High level of STATA knowledge;
- Strong SurveyCTO skills;Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred;Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.