Senior Research Associate - Employment Lab, Morocco - J-PAL MENA
- Other advanced degree
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Senior Research Associate to support the research activities of the Morocco Employment Lab. The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labour market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco.
The position offers a unique opportunity for the Senior Research Associate to develop and support the research infrastructure of the Lab and assist a variety of research projects in the areas of data security, data analysis, and logistical support in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Employment Lab scientific directors are Bruno Crépon (ENSAE) and Rema Hanna (Harvard).
The Senior Research Associate will be directly supervised by the Employment Lab Director, and will also work closely with senior staff from J-PAL MENA and EPoD, academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of research tasks.
We have also posted an offer for a Research Manager position but we will be hiring only one person for either of these positions. Please also review the Research Manager job description and only apply to the one that fits better your skills and experience.
II. Key responsibilities:
Research project management: For ongoing research projects:
- Develop research public goods, under the supervision of J-PAL Global and J-PAL MENA research teams
- Ensure J-PAL research protocols are respected through all research activities, report to J-PAL Global and J-PAL MENA
- Play an active role in Research Associate onboarding
- Provide support to research staff throughout the project lifecycle: this includes helping with technical questions (e.g. coding in STATA), devise data encryption protocols, personally identifiable data management
- Oversee field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with Principal Investigators (PIs) and partners
- Lead local institutional review board applications
- Engage with local authorities and undertake administrative procedures to ensure all data collection authorizations are obtained
- Play an active role in PI onboarding
- Collaborate with PIs on the design and implementation of data collection plans
- Assist with the logistics of hiring a survey firm, including drafting terms of reference
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations
Reporting and Communication:
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any Employment Lab activities with partners
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners
- Any other work assigned by the Lab Director
- A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, mathematics, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced mathematics
- Graduate-level coursework in economics is a plus
- Experienced user of STATA and/or R data analysis software is a must; experience interpreting data analysis
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, including 2 years of research experience
- Very strong quantitative, organizational, and communication skills are necessary
- Experience with budget management is a plus
- Fluency in French and in English. Arabic command is a strong plus
- Experience with living in Morocco is a strong advantage
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Familiarity with evaluation methods and randomized controlled trials preferred
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
How to Apply
If you are interested, please share your CV and cover letter with Yamina Mohattane at [email protected] following these instructions: (1) In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name and (2) in the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Senior Research Associate, Employment Lab, Morocco”.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.