VP, Growth - GiveDirectly
- United States of America
- Other advanced degree
Location: Global, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses. About this roleWe’re looking for an exceptional VP of Growth to head the team raising the majority of revenue for the fastest-growing nonprofit of the century.
As VP, you’ll define the roadmap for maximizing the cash we raise and deliver to recipients, building on the 6x fundraising growth we’ve seen since 2019. You’ll lead the teams that communicate who GiveDirectly is and what we do; acquire, retain, and grow our 100K+ donors who give anywhere from $1 to $50,000,000; and build innovative digital products that elevate recipient voices and showcase impact. We’re not looking to simply optimize existing processes for incremental growth; we need to take big bets in 2022 to deliver a step-change impact and continue our rapid annual growth. The VP will work directly with prominent founders, Nobel Peace Prize winners, journalists, and leadership across GiveDirectly to accelerate our efforts to end poverty worldwide. You should be driven by a deep dedication to evidence-based methods and, above all, shifting the status quo in the philanthropy space by putting aid budgets directly in the hands of recipients.
Reports to: Managing Director
Lead the team:
- Drive $230M+ in revenue from individual donors, up from $200M in 2021 (15-20% growth YOY)Lead four fast-growing verticals (major donors, retail donors, communications, and product) as they build out their teams, develop new playbooks, and define a cross-team roadmap
- Work with GiveDirectly leadership to set an ambitious vision for Growth that’s translated to each vertical clearly
- Lead decision-making on crucial, tricky questions like what respectful communication of recipients’ stories looks like or how charities should balance short vs. long-term returns
Donor strategy & experience:
- Level-up and automate detailed donor journeys for every tier of donor – from mass retail to ultra-high net worth – with innovative, differentiated touch points across the board
- Find creative ways to acquire new communities of enthusiastic, high-value donors (e.g., crypto outreach; circles of tech founders; ambassador programs)
- Build & leverage new digital products, innovative content, social, press, and paid channels to reach our next 100K retail donors
Develop relationships with high-value donors, getting into the weeds on research, poverty, giving philosophies, effective altruism, and impact Communications, Marketing, and PR:
- Develop simple, compelling narratives around complex operational programs, research, and vision
- Define how the GiveDirectly brand scales beyond our tent of current donors
- Launch high-profile campaigns – coordinating between operations, finance, research, Growth, and leadership – that spread the word about cash via press, social, events, referral, and more
Core competencies and experiences
- Experience leading, growing, and adapting in high-growth, high-impact environments
- Exceptional hiring skills, and ability to lead high-performing teams: communicate an exciting vision; remove barriers; brainstorm solutions; and ensure folks balance work with life
- Passion for putting structure and process to ambiguous problems in uncharted territory
- Ability to analyze problems with an iterative mindset, and build frameworks for prioritization
- Structured, succinct communications in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values
- Active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem-solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**