Web and Digital Communications Specialist - J-PAL Global
- United States of America
J-PAL is recruiting a Web and Digital Communications Specialist in our Policy and Communications group to manage J-PAL’s website and contribute to digital communications strategy, a key communication tool in our mission of promoting evidence-informed policy worldwide to reduce poverty. This position is based at J-PAL’s head office at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA.
The Specialist works closely with staff across J-PAL’s head office and regional offices to provide organization-wide website strategic guidance, management, and support. As the manager of the J-PAL website, the Specialist is an integral part of shaping and stewarding J-PAL’s online presence.
J-PAL values diversity, equity, and inclusivity in our work and the broader perspectives our staff bring. We encourage people of color, first generation college graduates, and other underrepresented groups to apply to this role. In your cover letter, please consider sharing how your racial, gender, socioeconomic, and/or other identity has influenced your drive and desire to work at J-PAL. (This is not required, but rather an opportunity for us to get to know you.) Read more about J-PAL’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
The website is one of the primary tools through which J-PAL executes its mission of reducing poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. With a popular blog, a repository of over 1,200 summaries of research studies, a rich library of research resources, policy insights synthesizing evidence from a range of studies, and much more, the website is a critical platform for J-PAL’s policy and communications work.
As the Web and Digital Communications Specialist, your primary focus will be ensuring that content across J-PAL’s Drupal 10 website is clear, consistent, and error-free by creating and implementing systems and workflows that prioritize user experience and leading development and implementation of new web site components. You will develop and implement annual and quarterly strategic objectives and key results for the website. In addition, you will manage the relationship with our web developers, an external vendor, and work with them to develop new and innovative features and rapidly resolve bugs.
In addition to setting strategy and updating and maintaining content through our Drupal CMS, you will monitor the website for acceptable performance and user accessibility, oversee and manage permissions for 50+ website contributors, lead monthly website user trainings for local and international staff, create and maintain process guides, and provide strategic guidance on the development of new website features.
- Develops and implements a digital communications strategy for the website that aligns with the organization’s broader communications strategy; obtains buy-in from staff and leadership.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders to identify web-related needs and obtain content materials; plans and develops solutions that meet the needs of both internal teams and site visitors.
- Works with internal teams to understand and outline key project/feature requirements, creates wireframes and iterates with internal stakeholders.
- Ensures new projects fit appropriately within site architecture and recommends modifications and improvements to site architecture where necessary.
- Analyzes project requirements and identifies needs for technical support and additional resources.
- Manages projects executed by our web developer and leads quality assurance testing with support from other members of the communications team. Ensures projects executed by our web developer are completed on time and within budget.
- Responds daily to tickets submitted by website users and resolves inquiries in a timely manner. Troubleshoots and corrects problems, in coordination with our external web developer.
- Develops and implements site maintenance plans, schedules, and documentation.
- In addition to resolving tickets themselves, monitors and coordinates website maintenance and resolution of problems by internal (other team members as appropriate) and external (web developer) resources.
- Administers site user provisions and manages access and workflows.
- Provides regular (monthly or quarterly) training for new web users.
- Compiles and analyzes site usage data using Google Analytics and implements changes based on that analysis.
- Develops and administers processes and operations related to web site integrity.
- Provides testing and verification during system upgrades.
- Evaluates new standards, technologies and trends in website development, design and delivery; recommends enhancements and upgrades.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the organization’s broader communications strategy; takes responsibility for a subset of objectives and key results related to website development and administration.
You will participate in annual strategic planning for digital communications related to website administration, working with staff within the communications team and across the organization to develop an annual strategic plan and obtain buy-in from internal stakeholders.
You will work with the Digital Communications Manager and Communications Lead to use dashboards and reports from Google Analytics to determine what’s working, what’s not working, and why. You’ll take the lead in adjusting strategy as needed, report out to all staff quarterly on overall website health, and recommend and implement strategies and tactics to improve the website and related digital products. You will work with J-PAL’s IT team to improve the integration of J-PAL’s digital platforms (e.g. Drupal, Salesforce, Marketing Cloud).
You will be a valued member of J-PAL’s communications team, working with the Director of Policy and Communications, Communications Lead, Digital Communications Manager, Graphic Designers, Communications Associates, Video Producer, and J-PAL’s Global Executive Director, as well as staff across J-PAL’s Policy, Communications, Research, Education, and Training groups, to contribute to J-PAL’s broader website strategy.
This position reports to the Communications Lead.
Qualified candidates have 3-8 years of professional experience with web administration, preferably in Drupal, are creative and analytical, and have a strong interest in J-PAL’s mission. Experience in Google Analytics, Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Form Assembly are a plus, but not required (see the “Skills” section below for more).
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in digital communications, information technology, computer science, or a field related to J-PAL’s work (economics, international relations/development, social policy).
Experience: 3-8 years of relevant professional experience is required for this position. We will be hiring only at the senior associate or manager (individual contributor) level, depending on years of experience.
Skills: You will be the in-house expert on tools you will use day to day, including HTML/CSS and the Drupal content management system, as well as platforms like Marketing Cloud, Form Assembly, and Google Analytics. Proficiency with Salesforce, other Google Suite web products (Google Data Studio, Google Optimizer, Google Tag Manager) and UX apps (Hotjar) is a plus. In addition to experience with these tools, comfort working with new programs and ability to teach yourself new skills is essential.
Attention to detail: Proven ability to self-manage a time-sensitive workflow while maintaining high quality output and thoroughness and accuracy with details. Detail orientation is a critical component of the Web Specialist role.
Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to build good relationships and work within a team; and ability to proactively communicate clearly with internal and external stakeholders at multiple levels is essential.
Vendor, project, and time management: Comfort with managing colleagues and external vendors to ensure delivery of a high-quality product and that deadlines are met. Proven ability to anticipate, plan, prioritize, and meet tight deadlines; demonstrated ability to efficiently organize and manage a high volume of work.
Creative problem-solving: Ability to find solutions to complex problems through research and creative thinking.
J-PAL invests in your professional development. As part of the organization, you will have opportunities to learn, travel, and grow.
Learn: J-PAL supports a culture of learning, with opportunities to attend career related conferences and events, engage in small-group discussions with J-PAL senior staff, and take relevant classes for credit at MIT or elsewhere with our generous tuition assistance program.
Travel: You will have the opportunity to travel as the need arises, often to collaborate with staff in one of our six regional offices, or to participate in conferences and events.
Grow: Associates join a peer group eager to collaborate, build institutional knowledge, and pass on lessons learned. You will receive one-on-one mentorship from senior staff and are eligible for internal promotion after 2-3 years.
As a member of the MIT community, you benefit from more than just your salary.
J-PAL hires highly qualified staff and rewards them accordingly. Total compensation packages are competitive for the nonprofit and international development field with excellent MIT benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, a 401(k) match and pension-based retirement plan, tuition assistance, commuter benefits, MIT community discounts, a generous vacation policy, and a highly flexible work policy that includes the ability within certain broad parameters to choose your weekly work days and work hours.
How to Apply
Note: This position is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship via MIT. Applicants must have permanent work authorization in the United States.
- Search for this job on the MIT Careers page using ID 23453
- In the MIT Careers application portal, upload the following:
- Cover Letter articulating how your knowledge and experience would be an asset to J-PAL and this position.
- Applicants who do not submit a cover letter will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications are rolling, but we plan to fill this position as soon as possible—please apply today.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background check.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.