Cash Transfers for Child Health Initiative - How to Apply
With the generous support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the CaTCH initiative will hold three rounds of competitive requests for proposals during the initiative lifetime. Please find the necessary information and documents for proposal application below. Also learn about collaborating with our New Delhi-based CaTCH Postdoctoral Fellow in the section below.
Who can apply?
All J-PAL affiliates, postdoctoral fellows, and invited researchers may apply to the CaTCH initiative during RFP proposal cycles for projects in India. The initiative does not accept proposals from research teams that do not have a J-PAL affiliate and/or invited researcher listed as a co-investigator. Potential proposals must submit requests for funding for either a full evaluation or a pilot study. Each proposal should clearly demonstrate the following:
- A study design that evaluates cash transfers or a pay-for-performance scheme and their impact on child health with a theory of change;
- Government commitment at either the national or state level in India to support and implement the proposed program;
- A clear source of funding for all implementation activities; initiative funding may only be used for evaluation purposes;
- Researcher commitment to data transparency and publication protocols.
When are requests for proposals (RFPs) held?
A total of three RFP’s are currently planned for the 5 year initiative. More information on the previous and current RFP timelines is listed below:
Round 1 - Completed and Closed
Open RFP: Monday, 19 December, 2016
Proposal Deadline: Tuesday, 31 January 2017
Funding Decisions: early April 2017
Round 2 - Completed and Closed
Open RFP: Tuesday, 7 November, 2017
Proposal Deadline: Wednesday, 31 January 2018
Funding Decisions: early April 2018
Round 3 - Completed and Closed
Open RFP: Thursday, 8 November, 2018
Proposal Deadline: Thursday, 31 January 2019
Funding Decisions: early April 2019
Summer 2019 Rolling Applications - Closed
Round 4 - Open
Open RFP: Thursday, 12 December, 2019
Proposal Deadline: Friday, 31 January 2020
Funding Decisions: early April 2020
Is there off-cycle funding available?
Yes, proposals for pilot studies and travel/project development grants are accepted off-cycle. Projects should justify why they are applying off-cycle and not during an RFP.
How much funding is available?
The initiative may award proposals for pilot studies up to $67,500. Additionally, eligible researchers may apply for up to $5,000 worth of funding for a travel grant. Full studies are eligible for potential full funding depending on the particular proposal request and initiative demand.
How can I apply?
Help the CaTCH Initiative fund your ideas. Please share more information with us by submitting an expression of interest. The CaTCH Initiative staff will follow up with submitted ideas.
All potential applicants should submit each of the following:
Pilot Study or Full Evaluation:
- CaTCH Proposal Cover Sheet (download template)
- Proposal Narrative (download template)
- Proposal Budget (download template)
- Government Letter of Support
- CaTCH Travel Grant Cover Sheet (download template)
- 1-page description of purpose of travel
- Travel Grant Budget (download template)
For more in-depth instructions, download the latest Proposal Guidelines.
Please send your completed RFP package to [email protected].