Research Associate, Malawi NRB - IPA
The National Registration Bureau (NRB) in the Ministry of Homeland Security, Malawi, with support from IPA, is looking for a Research Associate to assist NRB with the compiling, cleaning, and analyzing data. The objective of the data analysis will be to explore central issues in NRB’s implementation of the national biometric ID, including estimating coverage rates across areas of the country and demographic groups, and identifying potential barriers to take-up, and facilitating linkages across datasets.
The Research Associate will be hired by IPA and seconded to NRB, where they will be physically based. The Research Associate will jointly report to and work closely with the NRB leadership and two IPA affiliated researchers, Professors Pascaline Dupas (Stanford University) and Jessica Goldberg (University of Maryland). Professors Dupas and Goldberg have cumulatively over 18 years of experience conducting research in Malawi, and they will provide guidance and expertise on data analysis and management.
The Research Associate is based in Lilongwe, with possible travel to district headquarters. The research assistant will be asked to perform a variety of tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Working with NRB staff and others, as assigned, on compiling and analyzing complex administrative and survey dataWorking with government and non-government partners on creating processes for standardizing, sharing, and protecting the privacy of data
- Reporting to NRB and research team on all of the activities mentioned aboveAny other tasks as assigned The position offers an opportunity to bolster data analysis experience and to learn from internationally renowned researchers while assisting NRB with an important innovation for the country’s development.
- Educational qualifications: Bachelors’ Degree in Social Science with a major in Statistics / Demography / Population Studies / Monitoring & Evaluation. Those with a Masters’ Degree in statistics/Demography/Population Studies will have an added advantage.
- Work experience: A minimum of 4 years of professional-level experience in data collection and analysis, with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis packages, i.e., SPSS, STATA, EXCELOther qualifications:Flexible, self-motivating, detail-oriented, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team playerAbility to maintain data confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizationsAbility to work independently and in field locations