Field Research Associate - Evaluation of the impact of tailored microcredit, Morocco - J-PAL Europe
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and Jameel Poverty Action Lab Europe (J-PAL Europe) seek a qualified Project Associate for an Impact Evaluation of Microcredit in Rural Morocco. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field experience in the design of randomised evaluations and in collecting data in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. This position is located in Morocco. The principal researchers are William Parienté, Bruno Crépon, Ralph De Haas and Florencia Devoto.
Project Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot tests, refining the design and the survey instruments of the study, managing survey teams, negotiating contracts with survey firms, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in the preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with the local partner running the program under evaluation.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Strong Project Participation and Oversight:
- Propose and, as appropriate, implement innovations in the different stages of a project in coordination with Principal Investigators
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations
- Oversee and lead the field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with partners
- Liaising with field staff running the evaluations and collaborating with them including travel to research field sites
- Conduct background research in conjunction with field research activities
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, refining study design and surveying instruments
- Supervise data collection and ensure the good quality of the data
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
Reporting and Communication:
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with Principal Investigators
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any outreach activities
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners
- Any other work assigned by Principal Investigators
- A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, math, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced mathematics.
- Graduate-level coursework in economics is a plus.
- Experience with living in a developing country is a strong advantage.
- Very strong quantitative, organizational, and communication skills are necessary.
- Fluency in French and an excellent command of English (compulsory). Arabic command is a plus.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Prior experience working with large data sets and programming in Stata, SAS, or other statistical programs is necessary. Experience with GIS programs preferred.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
This position requires an involvement of one year at a minimum; candidates willing to remain involved for a year and a half are preferred.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please follow the following steps:
- Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Field Research Associate - Evaluation of the impact of tailored microcredit, Morocco - J-PAL Europe” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered. You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
- Send an email to Florencia Devoto at [email protected] and to Maxime Sirera at [email protected], following these instructions exactly:
- In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your resume.
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following line: Field Research Associate, Impact Evaluation of Tailored Microcredit, Morocco
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.