Frequently Asked Questions

PDF version

Frequently Asked Questions

Work Authorization and Visa Sponsorship

I am not authorized to work in the United States, does this mean I can't work for J-PAL?

Unfortunately, J-PAL is rarely able to provide visa sponsorship for U.S. based positions. However, simply because you are unable to work in the U.S. does not mean you can’t work elsewhere. J-PAL and partner organizations have positions throughout the world, and work authorization requirements differ from country to country. Positions that have work permit requirements will indicate this in the job description, as well as in the common application database. If you do not meet the work requirements for specific positions, you will be unable to apply for that particular position. Similarly, U.S. based internship candidates must also be authorized to work in the U.S. in order to obtain a position.

Will J-PAL LAC sponsor a visa?

Successful candidates for positions at J-PAL LAC in Chile can acquire a work permit through the Chilean Consulate in their home countries. J-PAL LAC will provide a letter to support this process. This can also been done from Chile, but it is a more complicated procedure. For positions outside of Chile candidates must prove that they are legally entitled to work in the country for the commitment period.

Will J-PAL Southeast Asia sponsor a visa?

J-PAL SEA will not sponsor a visa. Successful candidates must have an Indonesian work permit to be considered for hire.

Will J-PAL Europe sponsor a visa?

European and Swiss citizens can work in France without any visa or work permit, with the exception of Croatian citizens, who must have a work permit. Successful foreign candidates for positions at J-PAL Europe in France can acquire a visa with a work permit through the French Consulate in their home countries. J-PAL Europe will provide any necessary document to support this process.

Will J-PAL Africa sponsor a visa?

Please refer to each job position advert for details on whether the position is open to South African citizens and permanent residents only, or whether anyone can apply.

Will J-PAL South Asia sponsor a visa?

Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, Persons of Indian origin (PIO), and an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI)

I am applying for a position with J-PAL South Asia, and I used to be eligible for a PIO card. I am unable to select this work authorization in your common application. Why is that?

The PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn by the Government of India. All PIO applications, pending with the Mission for processing, are being returned to the applicants with a request to apply for an OCI card on the same fee prescribed for the PIO card. Henceforth, applicants may apply for an OCI card ONLY, as the PIO card scheme is no longer in existence. If you had originally selected 'I am eligible for a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card' when completing your application, please be sure to update your work permissions, as this is no longer accurate.