Senior Developer, IDEA Lab, J-PAL South Asia
J-PAL South Asia seeks a Senior Developer to support its activities under the Innovations in Data and Experiments for Action (IDEA) Lab. We are looking for an individual who can leverage their experience to build architecture, protocols and applications for policy-relevant research studies accessing large amounts of data from partner organisations, including government departments.
The IDEA Lab aims to increase the use of administrative data by governments, non-profits, private firms and researchers for evidence-informed decision making (here). The Lab has several existing partnerships with state governments (e.g. Tamil Nadu, Haryana, Punjab) and private data providers (e.g. e-Governments Foundation) working across sectors such as health, social welfare, labour, urban services, taxation etc.
The Senior Developer will report to a Senior Manager (Data) and work closely with research teams across projects to provide secure access to (potentially sensitive) data in required formats, advising on infrastructure requirements. S/he will also support in drafting technical documents and guides to be disseminated across the organisation.
The responsibilities include:
- Understanding data sharing capacity and capability of different sources (e.g. external data providers)
- Fetching of data through different mechanisms from different stakeholders
- Understanding and conversion of complex data feeds into desired format.
- Saving and retrieving of data from relational and non-relational databases.
- Data cleaning and maintenance through automation.
- Handling APIs from different sources.
- Building APIs.
- Troubleshooting and modifying your own code to enhance capacity as per requirements.
- Application development and maintenance.
- Should be able to assist in preparation of technical documentation
- Cloud/server management
Qualifications and technical skills required:
- BTech or MCA or equivalent computer science degree.
- 7 to 10 years of experience in full stack web development.
- Strong development experience in Core PHP, relational databases like MySQL, non-relational databases like MongoDB, API Integration, HTML5, CSS and jQuery
- Development experience in D3 JS, Google Charts and similar libraries.
- Working knowledge of CMS, PHP frameworks, R, Python, NodeJS will be an advantage.
- Other competencies and behavioural attributes:
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
- Proven ability to handle several different tasks or projects at one time
- Attention to detail and precision
- Patience, interest in engaging in public policy / social sector, intellectual curiosity
About the Organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 194 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 193 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Senior Developer, IDEA Lab, J-PAL South Asia” and include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.