The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
MITx MicroMasters students from around the globe have been sharing their experiences learning the practicalities of running randomized evaluations, building hands-on skills in data analysis, and studying Microeconomics and Development Economics. Enroll now for the next MicroMasters session, which launches on June 5.
How can we increase profits and improve livelihoods for 500 million smallholder farming households around the world—the most common occupation for people living under US$2 a day?
The Department of Education and Internal Revenue Service have announced that a critical tool that helps students complete financial aid applications will be suspended until this fall. In an opinion piece for the Hechinger Report, J-PAL North America Executive Director Quentin Palfrey explains why, from what we know about simplifying the financial aid process, this is more than an inconvenience and may translate to lower college enrollment among low-income students.
GiveDirectly has expanded its cash transfer program, which was found in a randomized evaluation to have improved economic and psychological well-being in Kenya, to reach over 60,000 households in rural Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda since 2013.
837 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
J-PAL co-founder Esther Duflo receives @MITxonedX Prize for Teaching and Learning in...
RT @tukopamoja: A 4 Step Framework for Taking Evidence from Place to Place
My reactions to...
.@RunningREs & @MaryAnnMBates in...
RT @SallyLHudson: Terrific piece on blending rigorous evidence + local context --- a constant question for practitioners.… https://t....
RT @dinapomeranz: Great opportunity do get an excellent education in development economics at a low cost and from anywhere in the wor…...
- New paper - J-PAL's Rachel Glennerster and Mary Ann Bates discuss "The Generalizability Puzzle": How to adapt evidence to local contexts. https://j-p.al/2qgtLib 15 hours 21 min ago.
- New research on: -Energy efficiency programs -Cognitive behavioral therapy -Job training & more in the latest J-PAL Research Newsletter https://j-p.al/2rwtOtK 1 day 13 hours ago.
- Why use randomized controlled trials to evaluate the impact of social programs? Check out this video from J-PAL North America; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxqw2Pgm7s8 2 days 22 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) was live. The China Shock: The D2P2 Lectures feature leading academics and other experts who share knowledge derived from modern applied economics research to demonstrate how it can inform better public policy decision-making. Speakers will discuss their groundbreaking research and practice, and how it can be applied to improve people’s lives. 6 days 18 hours ago.
- *Today* - Don't miss J-PAL affiliated professor David Autor on trade, inequality, and China's role in America's future. Join us in person in Cambridge, MA on the MIT campus, Building 3, Room 270 at 4:00 pm. (Not in the Boston area? View on Facebook Live right here starting at 4pm ET.) 6 days 20 hours ago.