Research Associate - Reducing Anemia through Food Fortification at Scale in Tamil Nadu
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Associate to lead impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will join a team of world class researchers from leading universities in the world and will gain first-hand experience implementing Randomized Control Trials in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The position will be based out of Tamil Nadu, India with frequent travel to the field.
Research Associates also work in close relationship with a Research Manager who guides and supervises them in their various tasks
About The project:
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate for the project “Reducing Anemia through Food Fortification at Scale in Tamil Nadu”. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will be based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
The Research Associate will work on and help supervise a large-scale Randomized Control Trial (RCT) that shall be conducted to assess the impact of providing multinutrient fortified rice through the public distribution system (PDS). The RCT, which will have an extensive intervention aspect, will run for a period of 2 years (June 2016 - December 2018), with two rounds of data collection – a baseline survey before the interventions are introduced, and an end line survey for impact evaluation. In addition, there shall be continuous monitoring and data collection during the intervention period. The Principal Investigators (PIs) in this project are Profs. Grant Miller, Associate Professor of Medicine at Stanford University, Aprajit Mahajan, Associate Professor of Agriculture and Resource Economics at University of California Berkeley, and Alessandro Tarozzi, Associate Professor of Economics at Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona.
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Supervising data collection activities to ensure good data quality
- Assisting with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
- Designing survey questionnaires, running pilot exercise, refining study design and survey instruments
- Managing teams: Recruiting, training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams
- Overseeing the implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design in association with GoTN
- Ensure that the project complies with IRB and J-PAL data collection and security protocols with the help of the Senior Research Associate and/ or Research Manager
- Co-ordinate with J-PAL’s Administrative and Finance team on a variety of tasks related to field staff contracting and payment
- Engaging and working closely with government officials at the district and state levels in Tamil Nadu
- Maintain regular communication and report to PIs on all of the above mentioned activities
- Any other task as assigned by the Senior Research Associate, Research Manager, TN Project Director, AD Research or ED
- Assisting in the preparation of documents and presentations for the GoTN, donors, and dissemination activities
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in economics, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills in English and Tamil
- Strong plus:
- Previous field experience in a developing country
- Previous experience in managing relationships with government officials
- Knowledge of Stata or other data analysis software
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
- Flexibility, motivation, and ability to work both independently and as a team player
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal, or Bhutan, Persons of Indian origin (PIO), and an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
1. Complete the J-PAL/IPA Common Application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Research Associate - Reducing Anemia through Food Fortification at Scale in Tamil Nadu" and include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, CV, and transcripts. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
- In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your CV and Cover Letter.
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line: 101824 JPAL South Asia, Research Associate- –Reducing Anemia through Food Fortification at Scale in Tamil Nadu
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a written exam and interview(s).