The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
Roland Rathelot (University of Warwick) studies the impacts of job counseling, discrimination against ethnic minorities, and residential segregation on employment. In our latest affiliate Q&A, Roland explains how his time as a civil servant in France influenced his interest in helping to solve France's chronically high unemployment rate.
In May, the State Government of Punjab, India and J-PAL South Asia signed a Memorandum of Understanding to support the government in taking an evidence-informed approach to its poverty alleviation efforts.
Cognitive behavioral therapy helped young urban men in Liberia and the United States become more focused on the future, reducing criminal and violent behavior and increasing graduation rates when delivered in school.
How can policymakers draw on the available evidence, both from their local context and from the global base of impact evaluations in other locations, to make the most informed decision about which programs to support? Mary Ann Bates and Rachel Glennerster set out a practical generalizability framework that policymakers can use to decide if, for example, an incentive program that boosted immunization rates in India makes sense in their context.
844 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
Should we pay people not to cut down trees? New research from J-PAL affiliate Seema Jayachandran: https://t.co/V6KSCWbdyy #...
RT @MISTIatMIT: Is cricket a microcosm of caste issues in India? Matt Lowe,...
RT @NextBillion: A 6-country study by MIT followed 21,000 of world’s poorest people for three years: https://t.co/CCOz8hCfWh…...
The #Spanish version of our free online course on Evaluating Social Programs starts soon! Enroll now: https://t.co/zfofqC0fDB...
J-PAL affiliate Rema Hanna on monitoring civil servants to improve attendance & public services: https://t.co/sifGvC1u44 @...
- For our Spanish speaking followers: The Spanish version of our free online course on Evaluating Social Programs will start soon. Enroll now! https://www.edx.org/course/evaluacion-de-impacto-de-programas-mitx-jpal101spax-0#! 4 days 15 hours ago.
- J-PAL Executive Director @RunningREs on the technology paradox in education: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUHpxvx27LM 6 days 20 hours ago.
- Why was attendance monitoring for teachers in India more effective than for health workers? A new piece in Vox Dev breaks it down: http://voxdev.org/topic/health-education/implementation-ups-and-downs-monitoring-attendance-improve-public-services-poor-india 1 week 2 days ago.
- Every child deserves an education. See how schoolchildren are using technology to learn in India: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b84u7m2FVPk 1 week 3 days ago.
- More than 8,000 students worldwide have enrolled in our online MicroMasters. Learn more, from WBUR: http://www.wbur.org/edify/2017/07/11/masters-mit-poverty-lab 1 week 5 days ago.