J‑PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the University of Indonesia, leads J-PAL’s work in the Southeast Asia region. J-PAL Southeast Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including social welfare, migration, health, good governance, and financial inclusion. We conduct capacity building activities for policymakers, researchers, and academics seeking to learn and apply rigorous impact evaluation, and work with central and local governments to help build a culture of evidence-informed decision-making in the region.
In Indonesia, researchers are conducting a randomized evaluation of the Transparency for Development (T4D) program. Equipped with a community scorecard that details local health problems and barriers to receiving healthcare, community activists will formulate and undertake social actions to address these barriers to accessing high-quality maternal and neonatal healthcare.
Research by Abhijit Banerjee, Rema Hanna, Jordan Kyle, Ben Olken, and Sudarno Sumarto finds that distributing a simple card explaining a government aid program leads to poor villagers in Indonesia receiving more of the subsidized rice they are entitled to.
J-PAL Southeast Asia Executive Director Lina Marliani shares examples from J-PAL affiliated researchers’ work to highlight how randomized evaluations can be used to inform open governance programs.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation with the Indonesian government that compared self-targeting to automatic screening in the context of a conditional cash transfer program. Requiring households to apply for a cash transfer program in Indonesia discouraged rich households from seeking out benefits and identified a relatively poorer group of beneficiaries.
There are 50 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 11 countries in Southeast Asia.
J-PAL SEA kembali mengadakan Pelatihan Evaluasi Program Sosial, 20 & 21 Juli 2019 di Banda Aceh. Informasi lebih la… https://t.co/1S5bTtXAz9
Welcoming @JPAL_Europe to @Twitter!...
RT @JPAL_Europe: We are happy to join our colleagues...
Kita sampai pada akhir acara. Terima kasih atas partisipasi Anda dalam acara kami! Untuk petunjuk kami dalam menguk… https://t.co/nAw2s9EehV
We have reached the end of the workshop. Thank you for your great participation at the event! For more on our pract… https://t.co/Rj0yRCE2lA
- Looking for hands-on research experience? Are you authorized to work in South Africa? J-PAL Africa is hiring full-time Research Associates to support field research projects and provide high-level technical assistance. Sound like you? Apply by March 28: https://j-p.al/RA_SouthAfrica Please share with your networks! 5 days 11 hours ago.
- Know a talented graphic designer based in India? We're hiring! Join us and help create visually engaging publications, web products, and infographics. Apply now - or tag someone who might be interested below! https://j-p.al/c6212 1 week 1 day ago.
- We're hiring a senior policy associate/manager with expertise in governance (political participation, corruption, building state capacity) to lead J-PAL's Political Economy & Governance sector work. Know someone who might be a good fit? Please tag below & share! https://j-p.al/57b24 #econjobs 1 week 3 days ago.
- Are you a champion for impact evaluation in your organization? Enroll in J-PAL Africa’s 5-day Evaluating Social Programs course, hosted in #CapeTown, South Africa, 29 Jul-2 Aug. Apply by May 12: https://j-p.al/Africa-ExecEd-19. (Based closer to the US? Join our Cambridge, MA course: https://j-p.al/US-ExecEd-19.) 1 week 3 days ago.
- Know a talented graphic designer based in New Delhi? We're hiring! Please share: https://j-p.al/graph58a73. 2 weeks 6 days ago.