J‑PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the University of Indonesia, leads J-PAL’s work in the Southeast Asia region. J-PAL Southeast Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including social welfare, migration, health, good governance, and financial inclusion. We conduct capacity building activities for policymakers, researchers, and academics seeking to learn and apply rigorous impact evaluation, and work with central and local governments to help build a culture of evidence-informed decision-making in the region.
In Indonesia, researchers are conducting a randomized evaluation of the Transparency for Development (T4D) program. Equipped with a community scorecard that details local health problems and barriers to receiving healthcare, community activists will formulate and undertake social actions to address these barriers to accessing high-quality maternal and neonatal healthcare.
Research by Abhijit Banerjee, Rema Hanna, Jordan Kyle, Ben Olken, and Sudarno Sumarto finds that distributing a simple card explaining a government aid program leads to poor villagers in Indonesia receiving more of the subsidized rice they are entitled to.
J-PAL Southeast Asia Executive Director Lina Marliani shares examples from J-PAL affiliated researchers’ work to highlight how randomized evaluations can be used to inform open governance programs.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation with the Indonesian government that compared self-targeting to automatic screening in the context of a conditional cash transfer program. Requiring households to apply for a cash transfer program in Indonesia discouraged rich households from seeking out benefits and identified a relatively poorer group of beneficiaries.
There are 49 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 11 countries in Southeast Asia.
Bagaimana merubah kebijakan dari "sekolah untuk semua" menjadi "belajar untuk semua"? Baca bagaimana #TaRL di Afrik… https://t.co...
(4) The study also found that the #electiondebate increased learning and engagement among citizens. Read more here,… ...
(3) In districts where higher number of candidates decided to participate, incumbents were more likely to participa… https://t.co/t6bU6qH442
(2) An interesting study in Liberia from 2017 looks at the impact of #electiondebate open for candidate of house re… ...
(1) Is #electiondebate effective to reveal policy promises from candidates? Do citizens learn more?
- Today we're honored to be recognized with Pratham Education Foundation as one of Co.impact's first grantees - enabling us and our partners to reach three million primary school students across Africa over the next five years. Learn more at j-p.al/coimpact-tarl. 6 days 16 hours ago.
- The Research, Education, and Training team at J-PAL is seeking qualified applicants for Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/resea2231a) and Senior Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/senio6a385). Help build out research resources, develop data analysis tools, and organize trainings for policymakers and staff - among many other projects! Based at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Apply by January 12 at the links above. 1 week 6 days ago.
- We're hiring! The Research, Education, and Training team at J-PAL is seeking qualified applicants for Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/resea2231a) and Senior Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/senio6a385). Help build out research resources, develop data analysis tools, review reference and teaching materials, and organize trainings for policymakers and staff - among many other projects! Based at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Apply by January 12 at the links above. 1 week 6 days ago.
- J-PAL South Asia is seeking qualified applicants for Policy Manager (https://j-p.al/policb2861) and Training Manager (https://j-p.al/train0d09a) to contribute to our mission of reducing poverty by ensuring policy is informed by scientific evidence. Help lead government partnerships and teach critical evaluation skills - apply now at the links above! 1 month 5 days ago.
- The J-PAL Africa team, based at the University of Cape Town, is hiring a postdoc to support development of a research agenda on digital IDs and payments. Includes potential to co-author several papers - learn more & apply now: j-p.al/postd2b9bb. 1 month 5 days ago.