Economics of Decarbonization Working Group Inaugural Convening
J-PAL North America's Environment, Energy, and Climate Change (EECC) team is launching a series of researcher convenings with the goal of coordinating the efforts of researchers to develop a coordinated evidence base (experimental and non-experimental) that will inform carbon mitigation efforts in the United States and other OECD countries. The first convening will take place in Cambridge, MA on the MIT campus directly following the NBER SI 2023 Environmental & Energy Economics Conference. This convening will be co-hosted by the J-PAL King Climate Action Initiative (K-CAI) and J-PAL affiliate Peter Christensen (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign).
Inaugural Convening: Objectives
- Showcase experimental and non-experimental research currently being conducted on the economics of decarbonization with a focus on OECD countries. This is an opportunity to discuss research on a range of topics including behavioral mechanisms, welfare impacts/cost-effectiveness, and distributional implications of different programs.
- Discuss and define a coordinated agenda for research that can inform the implementation of decarbonization policies and programs in the coming decades. There will be an opportunity for participants to co-author an article for Science or Nature that frames this research agenda in the coming 12–18 months.
Through a complementary effort, J-PAL North America will provide training in 2023 to a cohort of climate policy teams from state and local government agencies to provide a foundation for understanding program evaluation through the design and implementation of field experiments. J-PAL plans to then hold matchmaking convenings throughout 2023–2025 for researchers and this cohort of policymakers to create opportunities to evaluate programs that will be implemented over the next 1–3 years.
If you are interested in attending this convening, please contact event lead, Erin Graeber, for additional information.
Economics of Decarbonization Working Group Series Timeline
Inaugural Convening (July 2023)
- Objectives: Showcase decarbonization research and discuss development of coordinated research agenda
- Participants: Economic researchers
LEVER Researcher and Practitioner Matchmaking Event (winter 2024)
- Objectives: Provide opportunities for researchers and government leaders and staff to connect and share ideas about evaluation opportunities.
- Participants: Economic researchers and state and local climate team staff
Second Convening (July 2024)
Objectives: Convene cohort of researchers co-authoring decarbonization research agenda article to discuss draft manuscript
Participants: Economic researchers
Watch videos from the convening
Introduction to J-PAL Climate Work and Resources
Decarbonization and Climate Lightning Research Talks