J-PAL/MITx MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy for Government of India Officials
Under its partnership with J-PAL South Asia, Government of India's Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) is offering reimbursements for eligible staff to complete any of the six online course offerings that are part of the MITx MicroMasters credential in Data, Economics, and Development Policy. This exciting new online credential, co-designed and run by MIT’s Department of Economics and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), helps equip learners with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing developing countries and the world’s poor.
How the DEDP MicroMasters Program works
The following courses will be offered as part of the MicroMasters DEDP programme. Given the necessary time commitment, officers are encouraged to apply for only one course in a given semester.
- The Challenges of Global Poverty
- Designing and Running Randomized Evaluations
- Data Analysis for Social Scientists
- Foundations of Development Policy
- Political Economy and Economic Development
Learners should note that starting Summer 2021, the DEDP courses and proctored exams will be offered on a modified schedule:
- Summer 2021: 14.100x: Microeconomics, 14.310x: Data Analysis for Social Scientists, 14.740x: Foundations of Development Policy.
- Fall 2021: 14.100x: Microeconomics, 14.310x: Data Analysis for Social Scientists, 14.73x: The Challenges of Global Poverty, 14.750x: Political Economy and Economic Development, JPAL 102x: Designing and Running Randomized Evaluations.
- Spring 2022: 14.310x: Data Analysis for Social Scientists, 14.73x: The Challenges of Global Poverty, JPAL 102x: Designing and Running Randomized Evaluations.
This schedule is expected to repeat annually.
- Officers eligible: All Indian Administrative Service (lAS) Officers, Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Forest Service (IFoS), Group 'A' Central Civil Service Officers and all Group 'A' officers belonging to Central Secretariat Service (CSS), Central Secretariat Stenographer Service (CSSS) and State Administrative/Civil Service
- Eligibility in terms of Length of Service: All the eligible officers should have served for at least two years from the end of the calendar year of their joining of service in their respective cadres.
- Age Limit: The upper age limit is 56 years as on July 1 of the year of commencement of training.
How to Apply
For officers who are applying for the first time:
- Log on to igot.nic.in, then click on 'Approved Courses'. After selecting a course, the officer may then click on the link "Register Here".
- Create an account through the edX online course platform.
- Using your same edX username, create an account for the MicroMasters in DEDP portal.
- Once you have successfully created a MicroMasters profile, you can sign up for any of the six courses directly through your profile dashboard.
- Finally, please complete the following Google Form to confirm your eligibility, contact information, and the course(s) you plan on completing this semester.
For officers who have applied under this partnership in the past: Please complete the following Google Form to confirm your contact information and the course(s) you plan on completing this term.
Please note that you are required to complete the Google Form in order to receive your coupon code(s) for the discounted price.
The deadline for submitting applications for receiving a coupon code is May 31 2021 by 11:59 PM IST.
Course Completion, Payment, and Reimbursement
- Once you have completed the application for the coupon code(s), please enroll in the course via the edX website by June 1, 2021.
- Please begin the course on June 1, 2021 and complete it by August 17, 2021.
- You will receive a course-specific discounted coupon code to allow you to pay for the course at a price of $100 USD. Your coupon code will be shared with you before the payment deadline, along with instructions on how to apply it. Please apply the coupon before the payment deadline of July 2, 2021 in order to enroll on the full MicroMasters track and be allowed to earn a course certificate.
- In order to earn a MicroMasters course certificate, you will be required to (1) pass the online component of the course and (2) pass an online proctored exam which will be offered through the edX portal. Staff members who successfully earn this course certificate will then be reimbursed the course fee of $100 USD by DoPT.
- Take your proctored exam any time between September 1 and 8, 2021. You may schedule your exam between August 18, 2021 and August 27, 2021. You may also need to take an "onboarding exam" in order to onboard yourself with edX's online exam system; this exam can be taken between August 18, 2021 and September 1, 2021. Please note: The DEDP MicroMasters program has shifted online proctored exams to edX and will no longer offer an in-person option at Pearson VUE centers. The only difference between the online and in-person proctored exams is their delivery. The length of the exam and the type of questions you encounter will remain the same. All the questions will be multiple choice or fill in the blank. There will be no questions on R.
- For questions on the MicroMasters course or technical difficulties with the payment/course portal, please reach out to [email protected] with the subject line ‘DoPT’.
- For any questions on the DoPT partnership, contact [email protected].
- Please find important dates listed here, under “Summer Semester 2021”.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the MITx MicroMasters credential in Data, Economics, and Public Policy?
MIT’s Department of Economics and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) designed the MicroMasters® program credential in Data, Economics, and Development Policy (DEDP) to equip learners with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing developing countries and the world’s poor. To earn the DEDP MicroMasters program credential, learners complete three core courses (Microeconomics, Data Analysis for Social Scientists, and Designing and Running Randomized Evaluations) and two of three electives (The Challenges of Global Poverty, Foundations of Development Policy, and Political Economy and Economic Development) online and pass their corresponding in-person exams. Learners who receive the MicroMasters program credential will then be eligible to apply to MIT’s Blended Master's program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy. If accepted, students will earn MIT credit for the MicroMasters program courses, and will be able to pursue an accelerated on-campus Master’s degree at MIT.
2. Why should I enroll?
The basic objective of the MITx MicroMasters program is to equip officials with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing developing countries and the world's poor. The program is crucial to familiarize policymakers and practitioners in the Government with identifying and analyzing the root causes of underdevelopment using principles of economics. The courses under MITx MicroMasters program are useful in interpreting the findings of empirical research that evaluates the effectiveness of anti-poverty strategies, policies and interventions. It also provides practical knowledge on how to design and implement rigorous randomized evaluations and other econometric methods of evaluating policies and programs. The program is intended to help officials build a set of tools and skills required for data analysis in the social sciences, understand the problems facing the world's poor, and learn how to design and evaluate social policies that strive to solve them. Through these courses government officials will be equipped with the tools of comparative cost-effectiveness analysis which will prove highly beneficial for informed policy-making.
3. How do I pay for these courses and how will I be reimbursed?
After applying for the course, eligible officers will receive a special coupon code to allow them to pay for the course at a discounted price of $100 USD, along with instructions on how to apply through their Micro Master profile. In order to earn a MicroMasters course certificate, officers will be required to (a) receive a passing grade and (b) online proctored exam administered through edX. The officers who successfully earn this course certificate will be reimbursed the course fee of $100 USD by the Department of Personnel and Training.
4. When should I start the course? Do I need to make the payment before beginning the course?
Please begin the course as soon as you start receiving material from the MicroMasters portal. You do not need to make the payment before starting the course, but please be sure to make the payment before the payment deadline.
5. What is the expected time commitment per week?
Each week, each individual course releases a lecture, broken into a series of mini-videos, with finger exercises and homework assignments that correspond with the material. This usually takes approximately 10-12 hours per week, but may vary depending on the individual learner.
6. How many MicroMasters courses can I register for at once?
Given the time commitment that each course requires, we strongly encourage you to register for only one course in a given term.
7. How often will the classes run?
All courses run three times each year: spring, summer, and fall. These courses usually begin in February, June, and September and run for 12 weeks. The course material is then followed by a week to schedule exams, followed again by two weeks for proctored exams to be administered.
8. What are the passing criteria for each of the MicroMasters classes?
To pass a MicroMasters course, students need to attain passing grades both in the online component of the course (delivered on edX) and the proctored exam. The specific grade cut-offs for the online component of each class are detailed in the relevant course syllabi on edX. Note that only students who attain a passing grade in the online component will be authorized to register for the proctored exam. Your final MicroMasters course grade will be calculated as follows:
-edX course: 40%
-proctored exam: 60%
9. If I fail or unenroll the online course, can I take it again?
Yes! By completing your personalized course payment, you are eligible to take the online course whenever and however many times you wish. This means if you fail or unenroll, you have the option to re-enroll whenever you wish.
10. If I fail the proctored exam, can I take it again to try and get a better score?
Yes! By completing your personalized course payment, you are eligible to take the proctored exam up to two times. You also have the option to keep your current online course score or take the course again to try to get a higher grade.
11. Can I take the course now but take the exam in a future semester?
Yes! By completing your personalized course payment, you are eligible to take the online course whenever and however many times you wish. Additionally, you can take the proctored exam up to two times - whenever you’d like. We want the courses and timing to be accessible and flexible if need be. Please reference the dates and deadline page for more information about future course sessions and proctored exam time periods.
12. Can I make up the assignments that I’ve missed?
Unfortunately, no dates or deadlines can be pushed back. We understand that this can be super frustrating, especially during extenuating circumstances, but this is our course policy due to the platform we use.
13. I have already applied the coupon code and paid for my course, but would like to reschedule to future semester. What steps do I need to take?
There is no action required. If you have already paid, you are eligible to take the course(s) at any time now or in the future. Please note that your payment also includes up to 2 proctored exam attempts.