The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
In our interview with affiliate Michael Callen, he shares his current research on mobile salary payments in Afghanistan. “I am extremely excited about the potential for this project to assist the Afghan government in a core function—paying its employees—and also, in creating a foundation for greater financial inclusion.”
Hundreds of millions of people across the developing world have benefited from evidence-based innovation. However, the link between research and policy change and concrete impact for the lives of the poor is complex and rarely follows a linear path. Executive Director Rachel Glennerster shares lessons learned for moving from effective research to action from J-PAL’s nearly two decades of work.
Researchers re-examined data from previous studies in Ghana, India, and Sri Lanka to better understand the impact of credit and cash grant variations on micro-enterprise profits. Their results suggest that the gender gap in micro-enterprise performance was not due to ability, but rather to women’s financial resources often being redirected to their husbands’ businesses.
J-PAL and MIT recently announced the launch of a full master’s degree program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy that combines online learning and one semester of residential instruction at MIT. The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation will be sponsoring scholarship opportunities for seven learners from sub-Saharan Africa to attend this program.
872 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
Welcome to Twitter @rema_nadeem! Rema is scientific director of...
Have an econ master's or PhD? Looking for a new challenge? Join our team as a Research Manager at J-PAL Global in C… https://t.co/pxi5ejk2Pz
Thanks to all who joined us for today's Data, Decisions, Public Policy (#D2P2) talk with...
Stanford's @DupasPascaline taking questions from the audience at...
.@DupasPascaline: Evidence from randomized evaluations on the success of subsidies like this can help convince poli… https://t.co/...
- Do you have an econ master's or PhD? Are you looking for a new challenge? Join our team as a Research Manager at J-PAL Global in Cambridge, MA: https://j-p.al/2AKLnJ0. Please tag a friend who might be interested! 7 hours 33 min ago.
- Are you on Twitter? Make sure you're following us there - or, better yet, follow our affiliated researchers! https://twitter.com/JPAL_Global/lists/j-pal-affiliates/members 1 day 2 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their live video. Watch Pascaline Dupas speak live in our latest Data, Decisions, Public Policy talk! 3 days 12 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) was live. Live Webcast 3 days 13 hours ago.
- Live broadcast on our Facebook page, starting at 11am ET: Stanford professor Pascaline Dupas on improving delivery of health products in low-income countries. Stay tuned! 3 days 13 hours ago.