The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
Marco Gonzalez-Navarro studies the impact of economic vulnerability on citizens’ willingness to engage in clientelism with local politicians. In our interview, he describes early influences on his research interests and how a book about behavioral economics saved an evaluation in Brazil from derailment.
J-PAL Director Esther Duflo teamed up with psychologists and the education NGO Pratham to evaluate an education intervention based on cognitive science for preschool children in Delhi, India.
The estimated impacts of charter schools have varied widely. In Massachusetts, students who won lotteries for charter schools located in urban areas often did substantially better than students who lost, while students who won lotteries for charter schools in nonurban areas fared, on average, about the same or somewhat worse compared to those who lost. A common feature of the charter schools with the most positive effects has been the adoption of a “No Excuses” educational approach.
Roland Rathelot (University of Warwick) studies the impacts of job counseling, discrimination against ethnic minorities, and residential segregation on employment. In our latest affiliate Q&A, Roland explains how his time as a civil servant in France influenced his interest in helping to solve France's chronically high unemployment rate.
844 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
RT @MISTIatMIT: Is cricket a microcosm of caste issues in India? Matt Lowe,...
RT @NextBillion: A 6-country study by MIT followed 21,000 of world’s poorest people for three years: https://t.co/CCOz8hCfWh…...
The #Spanish version of our free online course on Evaluating Social Programs starts soon! Enroll now: https://t.co/zfofqC0fDB...
J-PAL affiliate Rema Hanna on monitoring civil servants to improve attendance & public services: https://t.co/sifGvC1u44 @...
2.5m U.S. students are in public #charterschools - but impacts vary. Where do we see the most success?… https://t.co/...
- For our Spanish speaking followers: The Spanish version of our free online course on Evaluating Social Programs will start soon. Enroll now! https://www.edx.org/course/evaluacion-de-impacto-de-programas-mitx-jpal101spax-0#! 2 days 9 hours ago.
- J-PAL Executive Director @RunningREs on the technology paradox in education: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUHpxvx27LM 4 days 14 hours ago.
- Why was attendance monitoring for teachers in India more effective than for health workers? A new piece in Vox Dev breaks it down: http://voxdev.org/topic/health-education/implementation-ups-and-downs-monitoring-attendance-improve-public-services-poor-india 1 week 15 hours ago.
- Every child deserves an education. See how schoolchildren are using technology to learn in India: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b84u7m2FVPk 1 week 1 day ago.
- More than 8,000 students worldwide have enrolled in our online MicroMasters. Learn more, from WBUR: http://www.wbur.org/edify/2017/07/11/masters-mit-poverty-lab 1 week 3 days ago.