The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
This year’s World Food Day recognizes the importance of addressing food security and rural development in the context of migration and displacement. Building the resilience and production capacity of smallholder farmers is critical to this effort. Learn more about the evidence on what works to spur increased productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
Watch the full video from J-PAL affiliate Marianne Bertrand's lecture on the ways in which the lives and attitudes of the rich and poor in the United States have and have not diverged from the 1960s to the 2010s. Register for the next lecture in the Data, Decisions, Public Policy series on December 8 with Pascaline Dupas.
International Day of the Girl Child aims to, in the words of the United Nations, "address the needs and challenges girls face worldwide, while promoting girls' empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights." Education is one of the most basic human rights—and yet girls in low-income countries are less likely be enrolled in school than their male peers. What do randomized evaluations tell us about how to close the gender gap in school participation?
In our interview with Day Manoli, he discusses the motivations for his current work with the US Internal Revenue Service: “As a graduate student, I volunteered to help individuals file their income taxes at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site. Through this experience, I saw how many individuals valued their income tax refunds, but were confused by various policies.”
861 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
J-PAL Governance sector co-chair Rohini Pande talks trends in development econ with @dmckenzie001,...
J-PAL's South Asia office, @JPAL_SA, celebrates its 10th year! Abhijit Banerjee & Esther Duflo on lessons learned: https://t.co/...
J-PAL's South Asia office, @JPAL_SA, is starting its 10th year! Abhijit Banerjee & Esther Duflo on lessons learned: https://t.co/...
@azumoran Hi! If you mean encouragement design (both ctrl & trmt groups can participate, but trmt is encouraged to)… https://t.co/...
RT @poverty_action: IPA is pleased to announce our competitive fund in Peace and Recovery request for proposals, deadline Nov 15… ...
- J-PAL's South Asia office is starting its 10th year! J-PAL directors Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo on what we've learned: http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/nYjG4JP2ve6YpeXkMb3AHJ/Pushing-evidencebased-policymaking-for-the-poor.html. 1 day 17 hours ago.
- More than 130 million girls were out of school in 2015. What can we do? Follow the evidence: j-p.al/2kHeYP4 #DayoftheGirl 1 week 1 day ago.
- Who enrolls in our online MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy? Meet Leena from Sudan, Kundan from India, and Diana from Romania: https://j-p.al/2xS1bbk @MITxonedX 2 weeks 2 days ago.
- So many people were interested in our in-person Executive Education training that we turned it into a free, open online course. The latest run of the course, "Evaluating Social Programs," starts this week. Enroll now! https://www.edx.org/course/evaluating-social-programs-mitx-jpal101x-6 2 weeks 3 days ago.
- For our followers in Santiago, Chile! Interested in micro-entrepreneurship? Join our Latin America & Caribbean office next Wednesday, October 4, for a presentation from J-PAL affiliate Claudia Martinez. Sign up at https://j-p.al/2xCIx9N. 2 weeks 6 days ago.