The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
On April 4, J-PAL's Data, Decisions, Public Policy lecture series continues with a talk by Elie Hassenfeld, Co-founder and Executive Director of GiveWell. GiveWell is dedicated to identifying outstanding giving opportunities and publishing the full details of their analyses to help donors decide where to give. Register for the talk, which will be held on MIT's campus and webcast live on our website.
The new Gender sector represents J-PAL’s commitment to further expand the base of policy-relevant evidence to reduce poverty and gender inequality. Chaired by Seema Jayachandran (Northwestern University), the Gender sector will examine a range of issues important to citizens, policymakers, and practitioners around the world.
While past approaches to helping students transition to college have focused on increasing financial aid, the college application process itself presents a barrier to college access. J-PAL's new policy bulletin summarizes five randomized evaluations of interventions designed to improve college access and persistence in the United States and Canada and one randomized evaluation of the influence of social norms on academic decisions.
J-PAL’s Government Partnership Initiative shares insights on how governments are building a culture of using data and evidence in policymaking and about how J-PAL and other evidence-to-practice organizations can best support them in these efforts.
899 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
Hot off the presses - can summer jobs for youth prevent crime and violence? New policy brief from @JPAL_NA: https://t.co/pW1Mcylhig (...
Are you a champion for #impacteval in your organization? Want to become one? Apply now for our flagship one-week Ex… https...
On the blog: @JPAL_NA's Todd Hall on bringing together policymakers and practitioners to shift cultural norms towar… https://t.co/...
RT @DinaPomeranz: Coming up next in @...
RT @seema_econ: Be a part of an amazing, meritocracy-enhancing innovation in education, MIT's blended (online + residential) Master… ...
- On the blog - check out J-PAL North America's Todd Hall on bringing together policymakers and practitioners to shift cultural norms toward evaluation: j-p.al/2IlAcK1. 4 days 5 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their event. Join us on April 4 for our next Data, Decisions, Public Policy talk! Register at https://www.povertyactionlab.org/d2p2 to attend in person at MIT or watch live online. 6 days 5 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) added an event. In the next installment of our Data, Decisions, Public Policy (D2P2) lecture series, Elie Hassenfeld, Cofounder and Executive Director of Givewell, will deliver a talk entitled "Making Donor Dollars Count: GiveWell's Approach to Selecting Charities." As a nonprofit that conducts in-depth research to determine how much good a given program accomplishes per dollar spent, GiveWell is dedicated to identifying outstanding giving opportunities and publishing the full details of their analysis to help donors decide where to give. Elie will share examples of GiveWell's top charities, such as the Deworm the World Initiative and GiveDirectly, to illustrate how GiveWell's selection criteria are applied. He will also discuss strengths and weaknesses of their approach and plans for their future. 6 days 5 hours ago.
- We're hiring! J-PAL Global at MIT is recruiting for a Training Associate, Research & Training Associate, Senior Policy Associate (Health), and Policy Manager (Health). See these jobs and more at j-p.al/2FicD73. 1 week 3 days ago.
- This month's affiliate spotlight: Christopher Neilson of Princeton University talks artificial intelligence, chatbots, and his dream evaluation: https://j-p.al/2tiOEzc 1 week 6 days ago.