Egypt Impact Lab Request for Proposals
The Egypt Impact Lab is a collaboration of the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development with J-PAL MENA at AUC. The Lab is embedded in the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development. Strategic Government Partners play key roles and include the Ministry of Social Solidarity, the National Council for Women, the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency, and the National Institute for Governance and Sustainable Development.
The Egypt Impact Lab funds randomized evaluations of government innovations related to any of the lab’s thematic areas, which are (1) Social Protection and Poverty Alleviation, (2) Employment and MSME Development, and (3) Gender Empowerment and Family Development. All funded evaluations must have a Strategic Government Partner involved as an implementing partner. J-PAL affiliates, J-PAL postdocs, and J-PAL invited researchers are eligible to apply for full research projects, pilot studies, and travel/exploratory grants.
The first EIL call for proposals opens on December 15, 2022 and closes on March 14, 2023.
Priority Themes and Partners
This initiative will provide competitive funding to generate policy-relevant rigorous research. The Egypt Impact Lab Initiative will focus on evaluating the impact of programs related to:
- Social Protection and Poverty Alleviation
- Employment and MSME Development
- Gender Empowerment and Family Development
To be eligible, evaluations must be in Egypt and in partnership with EIL Strategic Government Partners. Implementing partners may also include NGOs or international organizations partnering with the Egyptian government to implement programs related to the priority themes.
For interested researchers who are not yet connected to eligible implementing partners in Egypt, J-PAL MENA’s policy team is actively developing matchmaking opportunities. Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to find out about EIL matchmaking opportunities.
Two types of proposals will be considered:
- Travel/proposal development grant applications (up to $15,000); and
- Pilot (up to $75,000) or full research proposals (up to $250,000).
To apply to EIL’s 2022 RFP, you will need to:
- Request a budget template via email at [email protected] no later than February 21, 2023.
- Download the RFP document linked below.
- Fill out the cover sheet and narrative sections of the document, and attach to it a letter of support (detailed in the document).
- Send us the RFP documents and completed budget via email at [email protected] by March 14, 2023 at 5:00pm Cairo time.