State and Local Innovation Initiative
The J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative supports U.S. state and local leaders in using randomized evaluations to generate new and widely applicable lessons about which programs work, which work best, and why.
The J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative aims to:
- Build the capacity of state and local governments to create and use rigorous evidence;
- Share this evidence with other jurisdictions that may be facing similar challenges; and
- Document and disseminate best practices for feasibly implementing randomized evaluations at the state and local level.
The J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative features a two-phase competition for U.S. state and local leaders who are interested in designing and implementing randomized evaluations and using the evidence generated to inform their decision-making.
Through this initiative, state and local government leaders can apply for:
- Technical support as they develop randomized evaluations to inform critical policy questions;
- Flexible funding to help get these evaluations off the ground; and
- Partnerships with experienced researchers from J-PAL’s network to implement the evaluations.
The state and local leaders selected to participate in this initiative will serve as a model for others across the U.S., demonstrating that state and local governments can create and use rigorous evidence to address challenging social problems.
- Download a one-page overview of the initiative.
- To see examples of how randomized evaluations can inform important policy questions, download An Introduction to the J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative.
How to Apply
The deadline to submit letters of interest for the first round of the J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative was February 16, 2016. We anticipate announcing the next Request for Letters of Interest in fall 2016.
Additional details about the application process can be found in the Request for Letters of Interest.
For answers to common questions, download our Q&A.
If you have further questions about the application process or would like to discuss a potential proposal, please email Initiative Manager Julia Chabrier.
J-PAL North America is supporting the development of high-quality, feasible randomized evaluations in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rochester, and South Carolina to receive support during the first round of the initiative. For more information, see our news release.
- On December 9, 2015, J-PAL North America hosted a webinar to introduce the State and Local Innovation Initiative. View the webinar and slides.
- On January 11, 2016, J-PAL North America led another webinar to provide additional information about the initiative and to discuss what a randomized evaluation looks like from start to finish. View the webinar and slides.
Support is provided by the Laura and John Arnold Foundation.
Please email Initiative Manager Julia Chabrier.
To receive further updates about the State and Local Innovation Initiative and be notified when we host webinars, please enter your contact information below.