J‑PAL Latin America & the Caribbean
J-PAL Latin America & the Caribbean (LAC), based at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, leads J-PAL’s work in the LAC region. J-PAL LAC conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
Our research team works with J-PAL's network of affiliated professors to measure the impact of social programs and policies in LAC. Through online and in-person courses, we train implementers, policymakers, donors, and advocates on how to generate and use rigorous evidence. Our policy team works to institutionalize this learning and disseminate research results to governments and other partners.
Actualmente es poco lo que se sabe en relación a qué políticas realmente funcionan para contrarrestar la problemática para la cual fueron implementadas.
Despite large advances in school enrollment over the last decade, approximately 262 million children, adolescents, and youth between the ages of 6 and 17 are still out of school, according to UNESCO. In Latin America and elsewhere, school dropout is a key obstacle to universal school attendance...
Norman Simon Rodriguez, a MicroMasters learner in Colombia, shares his experience taking the online courses and earning his full credential. Learn more about the skills you can learn through the five-course program.
There are 155 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 18 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
RT @InnovacionAL: Gracias al consorcio entre...
¿Quieres evaluar el impacto de una política pública? @AgendaCAF te brinda la oportunidad de hacerlo. Los invitamos… https://t.co/...
RT @clear_lac: ¡Aún tienes tiempo de registrar tu propuesta de evento! ¡Participa en la 1a. Semana de la Evaluación Global!… https://t....
RT @corp_opcion: Ana Mendoza, miembro del equipo de Policy en...
- Internship alert! J-PAL Africa is hiring for a research intern starting immediately for an impact evaluation of an ICT platform allowing citizens of mining affected communities to anonymously voice their complaints about nearby mining activities. The intern is based at J-PAL's office in Johannesburg with travel to surrounding provinces. The position is compensated at US $1,000 per month, flights and accommodation will be provided, and all field-work-related travel costs will be covered. More info here: https://www.povertyactionlab.org/careers/research-intern-mining-south-africa-j-pal-africa-102990. Apply now! 32 min 10 sec ago.
- Venezuela: How did we get here, and what’s next?: The third constitution—ever—was written in Venezuela. Additionally, use of the term “social security” as a responsibility of the state was first introduced in Venezuela in 1818. Between 1945 and 1965, Venezuela had the second fastest growth rate in per capita GDP (after Japan), the second lowest inflation rate (after Germany), and the lowest interest rate, not to mention good weather (which clearly defines paradise). So, what happened? On May 14, Professor Roberto Rigobon of MIT Sloan will deliver the next talk in J-PAL’s Data, Decisions, Public Policy (D2P2) lecture series. Roberto will speak about the modern history of Venezuela, starting from when the country had little oil all to way up to the turmoil of today. He will discuss the current humanitarian crisis and possible alternatives moving forward. 1 week 1 day ago.
- Due to high demand, we've added more seats for our June executive education course @MIT in Cambridge, MA! Join us for an intensive five-day training on impact evaluation methods, with a focus on rigorous randomized evaluation. Apply now: https://j-p.al/US-ExecEd-19. 1 week 1 day ago.
- Join us next Tuesday, May 14 at 3pm ET for a talk on the modern history of Venezuela w/ MIT professor Roberto Rigobon - including discussion of the current humanitarian crisis and possible ways forward. Register to attend in person or watch live online: j-p.al/d2p2. #D2P2 1 week 6 days ago.
- Around the world, vast amounts of data are being collected, creating tremendous opportunities to transform lives through better policies. J-PAL's new IDEA Initiative will enable more of these opportunities - see how at https://j-p.al/idea-launch. (And the IDEA team is hiring! See open positions at https://j-p.al/24f08 and https://j-p.al/79174.) 2 weeks 1 day ago.