Good Business Lab is an independent, non-profit labor innovation company. We use rigorous academic research to prove that worker wellbeing programs have business impacts. We develop market-ready, scalable products capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses. Our goal is to disrupt the traditional notion of business and show that worker wellbeing can be a part of core business strategy, or in other words, a good business practice.
The founders of the GBL are Ach Adhvaryu – Professor of Economics, Director of 21st Century India Center, School of Global Policy and Strategy at UC San Diego, Anant Ahuja – Head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd. (India’s largest Ready Made Garment firm), and Anant Nyshadham – Assistant Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy at the University of Michigan.
The Data Associate will work closely with academic researchers, data manager, stakeholders at partner firms and other field staff to collect, organize, and help analyze various datasets. They will also lead data based quasi-experimental evaluations that we undertake with our partner firms.
We are actively looking to host people from underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds. If comfortable, please share your social location in relevant fields in this form. Please note that this information will only be accessible to the hiring leads/People Ops (select team members), will be kept confidential, and will in no way act as a detriment to your application.
Qualification & Experience:
(The areas of knowledge and expertise that matter most for this role)
- Bachelors or Masters in Economics (preferably)
- Background in statistics, public policy, computer science, data science and mathematics with a concentration/experience in economics would also be considered.
- Knowledge of at least one of the following – Stata, Python, R
- Ability to work in a team and be self-motivated
- (Bonus) Prior experience of working with large datasets (either through past work experience or projects)
- (Bonus) Experience in the development sector
Roles & Responsibilities:
(Areas that will play to your strength and all the responsibilities we will trust you with)
- Organize various large datasets and design data structure frameworks to integrate datasets
- Maintain and acquire new datasets from partner firms
- Help in the analysis of data for various academic projects. Some of the advanced research papers use Machine Learning and other cutting-edge algorithms to solve academic and industry problems.
- Work with the field team to design data protocols and maintain data quality
- Help with data analysis for academic projects
- Develop data visualization outputs and insights for dissemination of research results
- Undertake secondary research for upcoming projects
- Help partner organizations improve data architecture
Length of Commitment: At least 1.5 years
Location - Bengaluru / Delhi
Remuneration - 8.5-10 lacs p.a. (depending on experience)
What should you be comfortable with?
- A dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Working in a team with shared responsibilities.
- Independently coordinating with coworkers to accomplish goals.
- Being resourceful in new environments and scenarios.
- Problem-solving in high-pressure environments.
- Adapting your approach, being focused on the problem and not being stuck to one idea or way of solving a problem.
Perks of working with us
There are plenty of benefits at GBL, here are some examples:
- Flexible leave policy: Time away from work can be extremely helpful for maintaining a healthy work/life balance. GBL encourages managers and leadership to set the example by taking time off when needed and ensuring their team members do the same. We don't have a strict limit on paid leaves, only suggested ( extremely liberal) averages.
- Flexible working hours: We recognize that a better work-life balance can improve employee motivation, performance, and productivity, and reduce stress. The basis of our norms pertaining to this is a system of trust in each other and our common goals.
- Training and Development: GBL team members can set aside 10% of their work time / around 4 hours a week to improve their skills/knowledge on a subject that they think will help them perform their job better. There is a separate budget set out for this. We encourage all employees to focus both on technical and soft skills. We also facilitate employee mentorship programs.
- GBL Care Systems: As an organization, we are committed to ensuring the well-being of our team members and creating a thriving work environment- because that gives us, together, the best chance at achieving our shared mission and sparking joy at work. We do this by partnering with organizations such The Mindclan, Therapize among others for workshops and other wellbeing-related initiatives.
- Growth-oriented review policy: To foster collaboration, we have adopted regular reviews and check-ins among team members. We see a manager's role beyond what is expected from them by conventional management thinkers. Apart from delivering high-quality work, managers are responsible for the holistic development of their team members. This can be achieved through practices inspired by coaching philosophy.
- Wellbeing budget: This includes an individual budget for each team member that they can claim reimbursement for things such as therapy, any physical-health related activity and home office setup. Additionally, there's a separate budget for Managers for care packages or any other team activities. There's also a budget for our People Operations team to organize team-wide activities or provide mental health services in collaboration with organizations like Therapize and Mindclan.
- Informal virtual and in-person hangs and activities!
How to Apply
We are glad you’re interested in applying for this role! Here is an excerpt of the screening process overview which can take up to 6-8 weeks (from the date of the application deadline).
1. CV screening
2. Data Test
3. First Round Interview
4. Final Round Interview with the Vertical Head Our commitment to diversity
GBL is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer traditional monetary workplace benefits such as insurance and travel allowance. We are a young and growing company making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.