J‑PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the University of Indonesia, leads J-PAL’s work in the Southeast Asia region. J-PAL Southeast Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including social welfare, migration, health, good governance, and financial inclusion. We conduct capacity building activities for policymakers, researchers, and academics seeking to learn and apply rigorous impact evaluation, and work with central and local governments to help build a culture of evidence-informed decision-making in the region.
In Indonesia, researchers are conducting a randomized evaluation of the Transparency for Development (T4D) program. Equipped with a community scorecard that details local health problems and barriers to receiving healthcare, community activists will formulate and undertake social actions to address these barriers to accessing high-quality maternal and neonatal healthcare.
Research by Abhijit Banerjee, Rema Hanna, Jordan Kyle, Ben Olken, and Sudarno Sumarto finds that distributing a simple card explaining a government aid program leads to poor villagers in Indonesia receiving more of the subsidized rice they are entitled to.
J-PAL Southeast Asia Executive Director Lina Marliani shares examples from J-PAL affiliated researchers’ work to highlight how randomized evaluations can be used to inform open governance programs.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation with the Indonesian government that compared self-targeting to automatic screening in the context of a conditional cash transfer program. Requiring households to apply for a cash transfer program in Indonesia discouraged rich households from seeking out benefits and identified a relatively poorer group of beneficiaries.
There are 50 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 11 countries in Southeast Asia.
Last day to register! Learn how the government targets eligible beneficiaries in distributing social assistance pro… https://t.co/QkOl8VpWSW
Hari terakhir pendaftaran! Pelajari bagaimana pemerintah menyasar keluarga penerima manfaat dalam pembagian program… https://t.co/UemDoJ1ynR
How does the government conduct targeting for their anti-poverty programs? Attend our seminar on the 21st of Februa… https://t.co/HvpZ1YsoGm
Bagaimana pemerintah menyasar program bansos? Hadiri seminar pada tanggal 21 Februari, dengan para pembicara: Dr. S… https://t.co/KLZIMzUn9W
Attend our seminar "Tying assets to determine eligibility of the poor: Findings from randomized evaluation in Indon… https://t.co/yl2we69jLa
- Know a talented graphic designer based in India interested in mission-driven work? We're hiring! Please share: https://j-p.al/c6212 1 hour 49 min ago.
- It's not too late to sign up for one of this semester's online courses - like Data Analysis for Social Scientists, which introduces learners to the essential notions of probability and statistics, as well as modern techniques in data analysis. Learn more and enroll at https://www.edx.org/course/data-analysis-for-social-scientists-1! 1 week 3 hours ago.
- Are you a fundraising whiz looking to join a top-notch team - and apply your talents to evidence-backed social change? Apply now for our Development Officer/Senior Officer position at our head office in Cambridge, MA: https://j-p.al/8363c. 1 week 2 days ago.
- J-PAL affiliate Jeanne Lafortune invites us to learn more about J-PAL LAC and PUC Chile's Diploma in Impact Evaluation of Public Policy and Social Programs. This new version is in executive format - only 8 weekends during the year! More info at j-p.al/diplomado Nuestra afiliada Jeanne Lafortune nos invita a conocer más sobre el Diplomado en Evaluación de Impacto de Programas y Políticas Públicas de J-PAL LAC y la PUC Chile. Esta nueva versión es en formato ejecutivo ¡Son solo 8 fines de semana al año! Más información en j-p.al/diplomado 1 week 5 days ago.
- The J-PAL newsletter comes out this week! Want to be in the loop? Sign up here: povertyactionlab.org/subscribe. 2 weeks 2 days ago.