J‑PAL Latin America & the Caribbean
J-PAL Latin America & the Caribbean (LAC) is a not for profit research center that works alongside governments and NGOs in Latin America and the Caribbean to identify and promote the most effective programs and policies in the region. With the help of our research, training, and policy teams, our network of affiliated professors measure the impact of these programs and policies through randomized evaluations that become critical inputs for influencing public policy.
Evidence from Jamaica and Colombia shows that early childhood stimulation programs implemented at home can contribute to children’s cognitive and socio-emotional development, ultimately enabling them to improve on a number of future life outcomes.
The new J-PAL Bulletin reviews 58 randomized evaluations from 28 low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America that tested programs designed to increase school enrollment and attendance. It includes cost-effectiveness analyses and provides practical lessons for policymakers.
Distributing water cisterns in northeast Brazil led to fewer requests for private benefits from local politicians and fewer votes for incumbent mayors, who typically have more resources to engage in clientelism. Marco Gonzalez-Navarro and J-PAL's Latin America & Caribbean office are now working with the Climate Policy Initiative to support the Ministry of Social Development to design and implement an evaluation of the second deployment of cisterns.
Marco Gonzalez-Navarro studies the impact of economic vulnerability on citizens’ willingness to engage in clientelism with local politicians. In our interview, he describes early influences on his research interests and how a book about behavioral economics saved an evaluation in Brazil from derailment.
There are 147 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 17 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Nuestra afiliada Jeanne Lafortune nos invita a conocer más sobre la 3ra versión del Diplomado en Evaluación de Impa… https://t.co/SdeNPviahU
¡Trabaja con nosotros y lidera nuestro equipo! Para más información haz click aquí: https://t.co/THMEv7pCLD https://t.co/Ehq4OEv3U6
[BRA] Com aula do professor @claudferraz sobre perguntas e desenhos de avaliação, encerramos hoje...
RT @sotelo_chente: AYNI Lab Social. Ayer cerramos el taller de capacitación en evaluación de Impacto para especialistas de programas s…...
Junto a @MidisPeru y @poverty_action...
- Want to download data from 1,500 social science RCTs? Visit our advanced search page and click on the orange paper icon next to the RSS feed: j-p.al/2EtTyOJ 20 hours 31 min ago.
- Sign up now for tomorrow's webinar to learn about the MicroMasters in Data, Economics, & Development Policy! goo.gl/qxqycc 1 day 23 hours ago.
- How can we address publication bias with study registration? Read more on the J-PAL blog: j-p.al/2ELfjZI #ResearchTransparency 4 days 18 hours ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their post. Sign up for our MicroMasters webinar - space is limited! 6 days 20 min ago.
- Looking to advance your career? Curious about whether the MicroMasters in Data, Econ, and Development Policy is right for you? Join us for a live webinar next Tuesday, 2/20 at 10:00am ET to learn more about the program and ask your questions! Register now - and tag a friend below: https://j-p.al/2EtvDec. 6 days 19 hours ago.