J-PAL Europe, based at the Paris School of Economics, leads J-PAL’s work in Europe and francophone Africa. J-PAL Europe conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
J-PAL Europe provides courses, trainings, and customized workshops on the use of randomized evaluations. We recently launched a fundraising campaign in support of a J-PAL initiative on social inclusion, answering some of the most pressing questions in Europe today related to migrant inclusion and education. In francophone Africa, partnerships with the governments of Burkina Faso and Côte d’Ivoire support evidence-informed policymaking in the region, including a pilot of the Teaching at the Right Level approach to primary education.
Many programs and policies across Europe aim to tackle social and economic exclusion of migrants and refugees, but there is little evidence suggesting which approaches work and which do not. J-PAL Europe recently released a white paper that reviews three key levers of social inclusion in the Europe context: education, skills for youth, and migrant inclusion. This paper lays the groundwork for a multi-year initiative to fund new research and share emerging lessons on effective social inclusion policies in the region.
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) is an educational approach to help primary school students who have fallen behind to catch up by targeting instruction to their current learning level. J-PAL Europe and partner organizations are currently developing a pilot of this approach in Côte d’Ivoire.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation to test the impact of a general voter outreach effort on the political participation of immigrants relative to participation of non-immigrants. The canvassing treatment increased voter turnout of immigrants without affecting turnout of non-immigrants.
J-PAL Europe conducted a systematic literature review of impact evaluations measuring the effectiveness of job counseling programs for the long-term unemployed and those at risk in OECD countries. Read the review in French to learn about the evidence on job counseling or read the executive summary in English.
There are 50 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 15 countries in Europe.
The year is already off to an exciting start with @coimpactcollab support for...
What does it take to shift policy objectives from "schooling for all" to "learning for all"? See how the brand new… https://t.co/N21I9qplxe
RT @devex: Here's how big grants can pave the way to more investment....
RT @coimpactcollab: We’re thrilled to be providing our program partners with initial funding and encourage others to join or invest alo…...
RT @Philanthropy: The fund is among a recent series of "big bets" in which organizations or other donor collaboratives devote large s…...
- Today we're honored to be recognized with Pratham Education Foundation as one of Co.impact's first grantees - enabling us and our partners to reach three million primary school students across Africa over the next five years. Learn more at j-p.al/coimpact-tarl. 4 days 13 hours ago.
- The Research, Education, and Training team at J-PAL is seeking qualified applicants for Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/resea2231a) and Senior Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/senio6a385). Help build out research resources, develop data analysis tools, and organize trainings for policymakers and staff - among many other projects! Based at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Apply by January 12 at the links above. 1 week 4 days ago.
- We're hiring! The Research, Education, and Training team at J-PAL is seeking qualified applicants for Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/resea2231a) and Senior Research and Training Associate (https://j-p.al/senio6a385). Help build out research resources, develop data analysis tools, review reference and teaching materials, and organize trainings for policymakers and staff - among many other projects! Based at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Apply by January 12 at the links above. 1 week 4 days ago.
- J-PAL South Asia is seeking qualified applicants for Policy Manager (https://j-p.al/policb2861) and Training Manager (https://j-p.al/train0d09a) to contribute to our mission of reducing poverty by ensuring policy is informed by scientific evidence. Help lead government partnerships and teach critical evaluation skills - apply now at the links above! 1 month 3 days ago.
- The J-PAL Africa team, based at the University of Cape Town, is hiring a postdoc to support development of a research agenda on digital IDs and payments. Includes potential to co-author several papers - learn more & apply now: j-p.al/postd2b9bb. 1 month 3 days ago.