J-PAL Europe, which is based at the Paris School of Economics, works to improve the effectiveness of social policies and programs across Europe and in French-speaking Africa. We do this by conducting randomized evaluations, sharing policy lessons, and building evaluation capacity.
J-PAL Europe conducted a systematic literature review of impact evaluations measuring the effectiveness of job counseling programs for the long-term unemployed and those at risk in OECD countries. Read the review in French to learn about the evidence on job counseling.
If disadvantaged students lack information about their educational opportunities after high-school and the academic preparation they need to succeed in top universities, they may be less likely to apply to and attend these universities. Researchers tested the impact of a program that connected underprivileged high schools with higher education institutions to provide academic tutoring and support.
Researchers used data on lottery winners in Sweden to determine whether receiving an influx of cash affected the labor supply decisions of winners and their spouses. They found that lottery winners reduced their labor supply, suggesting that cash transfers can have an effect on labor market outcomes.
Marc Gurgand, J-PAL Europe Scientific Director, and Michael Rosholm (J-PAL, Aarhus University) edited a special edition of Labour Economics, one of the top economics journals in the field. This special edition is the result of a conference J-PAL Europe helped organize in September 2015.
There are 48 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 14 countries in Europe.
RT @JPAL_NA: How much get out the vote mail is too much? Evidence from New Hampshire: https://t.co/32tSLlpHt2...
And in case you missed it, subscribe here! https://t.co/yetSfzVTmg https://t.co/bZeHovWTip
Check out new papers from J-PAL affiliated professors in our latest research newsletter: https://t.co/vGJkJKa1h4 https://t.co/db6XOBubkM
J-PAL Governance sector co-chair Rohini Pande talks trends in development econ with @dmckenzie001,...
J-PAL's South Asia office, @JPAL_SA, celebrates its 10th year! Abhijit Banerjee & Esther Duflo on lessons learned: https://t.co/...
- Check out new papers from J-PAL affiliated professors in our latest research newsletter: https://j-p.al/2gpSg9d - and ICYMI, subscribe here! https://www.povertyactionlab.org/subscribe 13 hours 56 min ago.
- J-PAL's South Asia office is starting its 10th year! J-PAL directors Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo on what we've learned: http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/nYjG4JP2ve6YpeXkMb3AHJ/Pushing-evidencebased-policymaking-for-the-poor.html. 2 days 14 hours ago.
- More than 130 million girls were out of school in 2015. What can we do? Follow the evidence: j-p.al/2kHeYP4 #DayoftheGirl 1 week 2 days ago.
- Who enrolls in our online MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy? Meet Leena from Sudan, Kundan from India, and Diana from Romania: https://j-p.al/2xS1bbk @MITxonedX 2 weeks 3 days ago.
- So many people were interested in our in-person Executive Education training that we turned it into a free, open online course. The latest run of the course, "Evaluating Social Programs," starts this week. Enroll now! https://www.edx.org/course/evaluating-social-programs-mitx-jpal101x-6 2 weeks 4 days ago.